How do I stop a singleton from trying to load itself again when I change scenes?

I am working on a Kinect project and I use a wrapper (this one: http://wiki.etc.cmu.edu/unity3d/index.php/Microsoft_Kinect_-_Microsoft_SDK ).

There can be only one instance of the Kinect sensor, but it tries to make a new one when I try to load a different scene. This causes it not to work anymore. The problem stems from these lines of code:

private static KinectInterface instance;
public static KinectInterface Instance
{
    get
    {
        if (instance == null)
            throw new Exception("There needs to be an active instance of the KinectSensor component.");
        return instance;
    }
    private set
    { instance = value; }
}

And the Awake() function:

void Awake()
{
	if (KinectSensor.instance != null)
	{
		Debug.Log("There should be only one active instance of the KinectSensor component at at time.");
    throw new Exception("There should be only one active instance of the KinectSensor component at a time.");
	}
	try
	{
		// The MSR Kinect DLL (native code) is going to load into the Unity process and stay resident even between debug runs of the game.  
    // So our component must be resilient to starting up on a second run when the Kinect DLL is already loaded and
    // perhaps even left in a running state.  Kinect does not appear to like having NuiInitialize called when it is already initialized as
    // it messes up the internal state and stops functioning.  It is resilient to having Shutdown called right before initializing even if it
    // hasn't been initialized yet.  So calling this first puts us in a good state on a first or second run.
		// However, calling NuiShutdown before starting prevents the image streams from being read, so if you want to use image data
		// (either depth or RGB), comment this line out.
		//NuiShutdown();

int hr = NativeMethods.NuiInitialize(NuiInitializeFlags.UsesDepthAndPlayerIndex | NuiInitializeFlags.UsesSkeleton | NuiInitializeFlags.UsesColor);
    if (hr != 0)
		{
    	throw new Exception("NuiInitialize Failed.");
		}

hr = NativeMethods.NuiSkeletonTrackingEnable(IntPtr.Zero,0);
		if (hr != 0)
		{
			throw new Exception("Cannot initialize Skeleton Data.");
		}

depthStreamHandle = IntPtr.Zero;
		hr = NativeMethods.NuiImageStreamOpen(NuiImageType.DepthAndPlayerIndex, NuiImageResolution.resolution320x240, 0, 2, IntPtr.Zero, ref depthStreamHandle);
		Debug.Log(depthStreamHandle);
		if (hr != 0)
		{
			throw new Exception("Cannot open depth stream.");
		}

colorStreamHandle = IntPtr.Zero;
		hr = NativeMethods.NuiImageStreamOpen(NuiImageType.Color, NuiImageResolution.resolution640x480, 0, 2, IntPtr.Zero, ref colorStreamHandle);
		Debug.Log(colorStreamHandle);
		if (hr != 0)
		{
			throw new Exception("Cannot open color stream.");
		}
		colorImage = new Color32[640*480];

double theta = Math.Atan((lookAt.y+kinectCenter.y-sensorHeight) / (lookAt.z + kinectCenter.z));
		long kinectAngle = (long)(theta * (180 / Math.PI));
		NativeMethods.NuiCameraSetAngle(kinectAngle);

DontDestroyOnLoad(gameObject);
		KinectSensor.Instance = this;
	}
	catch (Exception e)
	{
		Debug.Log(e.Message);
	}
	enabled = true;
}

I’ve solved it, albeit in a bit crude way.

I’ve changed the following lines from Awake():

{
       Debug.Log("There should be only one active instance of the KinectSensor component at at time.");
    throw new Exception("There should be only one active instance of the KinectSensor component at a time.");
    }

into:

{
    KinectSensor.instance = null;
    }

This makes the instance empty and allows it to be loaded again.