How do you perform a Graphic Raycast?

I need to perform a raycast to detect a UI object with no collider. It appears this is how the event system works according to this page…

GraphicRaycaster

I’ve performed a physics raycast before, but this one is new for me. What is the syntax to perform a graphic raycast?

Thank you!

//Code to be place in a MonoBehaviour with a GraphicRaycaster component
GraphicRaycaster gr = this.GetComponent();
//Create the PointerEventData with null for the EventSystem
PointerEventData ped = new PointerEventData(null);
//Set required parameters, in this case, mouse position
ped.position = Input.mousePosition;
//Create list to receive all results
List results = new List();
//Raycast it
gr.Raycast(ped, results);

No worries at all. Yes, I believe I figured it out. This is the code I’m using…

PointerEventData cursor = new PointerEventData(EventSystem.current);							// This section prepares a list for all objects hit with the raycast
		cursor.position = Input.mousePosition;
		List<RaycastResult> objectsHit = new List<RaycastResult> ();
		EventSystem.current.RaycastAll(cursor, objectsHit);
		int count = objectsHit.Count;
		int x = 0;

In fact, I already have a script package on the Asset Store. It allows for actions such as moving and resizing UI objects at runtime. The reason I needed the raycast was so multiple scripted objects would play well together… only the fore-most object’s script would be affected by a mouse-drag. You can actually test it in the following demo. Just click the “Multiple Windows” button.

Here are two web demos the scripts in action so far…

Move/Resize

Scale/Anchor

I’m actually hoping to update it within a few days with the ability to use custom cursors when the cursor is over a moveable/resizable position… which also uses the raycasting. It would have been updated already, but I keep thinking up new features to add.

The next update will include a script to minimize, maximize, and restore an object. It will also include a script that allows one object to push or pull another object’s position or specific edge. And I have also added the ability to restrain objects so they remain on the screen or inside their parent.

Here is the link to the asset…
Move & Resize UI

I am still quite the newbie, so I’m sure the scripts are nowhere near perfect, but I’ve learned so much already. The whole reason for this project was because I’m an old-school Morrowind fan. I absolutely love that game! So I wanted a way to make a user interface that is so user-friendly and customizable. So with these scripts, I’m coming much closer to my goal. I actually ALMOST have a working replica of an inventory menu! :smiley:

Not for the topic owner. But in fact @batmobile is the one that said what i was looking to know, Shady. How to use this without EventSystem, it was be so simple…

Not for the topic owner. But in fact @batmobile is the one that said what i was looking to know, Shady. How to use this without EventSystem, it was be so simple…