That depends on how much you know already about programming and how much time you have, how many people you have working with you, and a few other things. It’s impossible to give you a certain amount of time.
How long will it take a complete beginner to make a game like Slender 7th Street, or Eyes, using the free version of Unity?
How long is a piece of string?
There’s no definite answer to your question.
- Do you have experience with any sort of programming language or digital art?
- Are you a fast learner?
- Will you be building this on your own?
- Will you be doing this full time?
Rather than trying to build a whole game from scratch you should consider making small pieces of a game at first just to get the hang of things. For you to come right out of the gate and try to build a complete game is probably going to be very difficult and frustrating.
Thanks for the response so far guys! I should clarify a few things from the sound of it:
I’ll be graduating from University in about a year and a half, and I want to make a slender game with our campus as the setting (and possibly an Eyes-esque thing going on inside certain buildings). Just for me and a few other people. I have some experience with graphic design, and took A-level computing (programming) which was a two year course using 3rd generation programming languages. Over the year and a half I have available I’ll have 2 summers (which I’ll have a lot more time in), and term-time will be a bit more time-restricting. I’ll be attempting it by myself. I don’t have any music experience, but the maker of Slender the eight pages has said its acceptable to use his soundtrack as long as he is given credit.
Hope that helps
It will take about 3 years to create a game like this, want to short it up?
Well, its easy!
- Do you know programming? - C is the best, its very powerful, Java is not really compatiable with most 3D game developing.
- Do you know how to design models in blender? Thats where you design the trees, the slenderman, etc.
- Do you know how to add textures to models in blender or unity? You must know that!
- And last but not least, do you know how to organize graphic codes and clean codes?
Those are my suggestions on things that you should study in order to put together an amazing graphic game!