how to animate?

I'm working on a very simple and generic FPS. I have game play all programmed and the environment done. I have done no modeling or animation. (because I don't know how to animate and I'm a poor modeler)

so, my questions are:

1. is there a tutorial for animating in Unity? (I found some on the unity site but the link seemed to be broken). if there is no tutorial for unity maybe a tutorial for animation in blender or poser or animation master would help...

2. is it practical for me to use unity to create character animations? (I only need character animations for my game, and they don't have to be too great). if that wouldn't be a practical approach even for a very simple fps game then what would be adequate?

it would be awesome if someone could point me in the right direction :) thanks!

PS. I tried for a little bit to use the animation component window but couldn't make heads or tails of it. :(

Try this link on the Unity website for a tutorial on the animation view: http://unity3d.com/support/resources/tutorials/video-animation-view. Also, yes, it can be practical to create your animations in Unity, especially if your 3d modeling app doesn't support exporting animations to `.fbx`. There's a list here.