How to change Toggle Text using C#?

Hi Guys,

Can someone please explain to me how I can change the display Text/Label of a Toggle from within C# code?

I’m new to Unity but have many years of C# experience.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Suddoha,

I don’t really want to do anything at design time, I would prefer finding the Toggle and then changing the Text at runtime using code, as a future requirement will be to create N number of Toggles based on an external data source and access these dynamically within code.

I already have the code defined, which finds the Toggle and can access the child components. But there doesn’t seem to be a Text component or property to work against.

Currently from what I can see, the hierarchy within the **Toggle is:
Toggle

• Background
  • Label**

These are the only child components I can see, the Toggle has 2 children, Background and Label.
Label is actually just a RectTransform. And Label doesn’t have any children. So I’m not sure how to change the text?

You could have a public variable of type Text (which belongs to the UnityEngine.UI namespace) in your script. The object that you attach this script to will then show a slot in the inspector. You can drag&drop any gameobject onto that slot that has a Text component or use code to find the appropriate text component if you don’t like to assign it there.

In the script, you can then simply use something like

toggleText.text = "some text";

You could also have the variable of type Toggle, GameObject, Transform but then you’d have to find the text component in the components or children first, depending on the hierarchy.