How to correctly access interface of a subclass?

I’m running into the following situation, and I have absolutely no idea what’s going on. By all of my understanding of OOP, this is not how this should work.

public interface ValueHolder{
    bool ValueHeld();
    void SetHeldValue(bool newVal);
}

public class BaseThing : Monobehavior, ValueHolder {
    private bool sneakyValue = true; //Private. Not serialized.

public bool ValueHeld(){
        return sneakyValue;
    }

public void SetHeldValue(bool newVal){
        sneakyValue = newVal;
    }
}

public class UniqueThing : BaseThing {    } //There are several of these. Performs unrelated tasks.

//Doing some code things
GameObject thingObj = Instantiate(PrefabWithUniqueThingOnIt);
thingScript = thingObj.GetComponent<UniqueThing>();
thingStript.SetHeldValue(false);
Debug.Log(thingObj.GetComponent<UniqueThing>().ValueHeld()); //False, as expected
Debug.Log(thingObj.GetComponent<BaseThing>().ValueHeld()); //True??
Debug.Log(thingObj.GetComponent<ValueHolder>().ValueHeld()); //Also True??

The problem is that I want to have a single function that can get several variations of UniqueThing and check their ValueHeld. When I set the value on BaseThing and get it using ValueHolder, I do get the expected result, so I expect the problem is more related to inheritance than interfaces.

This is certainly not a Unity bug. The most likely explanation for this is that you actually attached a UniqueThing as well as a BaseThing to the same object. GetComponent will return the first instance it finds on the object. When you do GetComponent<UniqueThing>() and there’s only one UniqueThing component on the gameobject it will return that one. However GetComponent<BaseThing>() as well as GetComponent<ValueHolder>() would match both classes. So you probably have a “BaseThing” component besides the UniqueThing component attached.