How to create tree bark textures?

Hi. I am an user of Unity, Blender and Gimp and I am wondering how to create custom textures/materials for Unity trees. Do the trees have a special UV mapping or all that is needed is a simple pattern texture? If so, I am thinking of extracting a texture from an image, crop it in Gimp and turn it tilable.(make seamless).
How to make Unity trees bark textures?

Do the trees have a special UV mapping or all that is needed is a simple pattern texture?

Actually in most cases trees require little to no (manual) UV mapping since the textures are applied to basic shapes.

The only special effort you need to put is the texture itself, creating the color and normal map for the texture are your main concern as they can take some time and effort to make depending on your style, making a realistic texture will obviously take more time and tinkering to make vs a cartoonish style made with a few nodes.

As far as using them in unity its not straight forward as unity doesn’t support the same node system as blender and transform system as exporting from blender to unity causes the dimensions to be different and having manually to put the Albedo (color) and normal map
to the material unless exported from blender with specific settings and maps ready

How to make Unity trees bark textures?

you can do it the lazy way and draw a cartoonish style picture and apply it to the albedo of the material.

You can also make it in blender with allot of nice tutorials on YouTube with a finished product to follow.

I am thinking of extracting a texture from an image

you can also apply that as the texture directly into the material Albedo but not much to change with maps unless you use the image in blender to make the texture with the maps you need.