How to detect intersections with only colliders and not use the physics engine?

I do not want to use the physics engine, I only want the collider to detect when they have entered into another collider, then I want to handle what happens to the objects.

Moving static colliders (colliders that do not attach to a rigidbody) around has a penalty, so how would I accomplish this without incurring a penalty for moving colliders around that do not attach to a rigidbody?

I could use a Kinematic Rigidbody Collider for this, but this seems kind of hacky since they are meant to be used in conjunction with Rigidbody Colliders (at least thats what their intention seems like from the manual). I have also looked into CharacterController, it says it “does not make use of Rigidbody
physics”, but it does not say how the physic system treats it which would come with a penalty if the physic system sees it as a static collider (as it uses a capsule collider with no rigidbody).

Other than a Kinematic Rigidbody Collider or CharacterController, is there any way to accomplish this in unity?

I do not want to use the physics
engine, I only want the collider to
detect when they have entered into
another collider, then I want to
handle what happens to the objects.

Do you mean you do not want the use the built-in collisions system of the physics engine, or the physics engine itself ?

What you describe is exactly what collision triggers are meant for, and they use the physics engine…