I am a developer. I’m building a game in Unity. My laptop runs Windows 8.1 and has an nVidia GT 750M and an integrated Intel HD 4600. When I build for Windows the game runs with the integrated graphics card, not the dedicated GPU, so quality and performance suffer.
I don’t care that this happens to me. I am a developer and I can find the end-user work-arounds to change the default graphics processor for this specific instance on my machine.
I do care that players of my game on laptops like mine will have a sub-optimal experience because they don’t know or don’t care to work out how to change the graphics processor option.
How do I make a Unity windows executable default to using the faster GPU, or explicitly give the option to the end-user?
The work around, before someone suggests it: right-click on the executable and choose “Run with graphics processor > High-performance NVIDIA prcessor”.
Please don’t tell my end-users they have to do this or similar. There are other end-user solutions and workarounds listed within the links below, but I’m asking for a developer solution, if anyone can help.
Sorry, this question has been asked before. However, I’m yet to find an answer for developers.
Here’s a selection of previous, similar questions (none with solutions for developers):
- Standalone Desktop player: nvidia Optimus uses internal gpu; How to let use dGPU ?
- How do we force Unity 3d build to run on a specific graphics device?
- Graphic Card Issue
- Unity using integrated graphics when nvidia is available
- How to make Unity games use you Nvidia card on a laptop (SOLUTION) (Solutions for end-users, but doesn’t help developers)
- How can I set my application to run on the High performance GPU by default? — includes a partial answer
For completeness, here’s a list of others having had the same problem with other platforms:
- Unity not picking up NVIDIA display adapter (web player)
- How to get webplayer to detect and use dedicated GPU over integreated(or vice versa) (with end-user solution April 2014)
- Problem with nVidia Optimus technology! (web player, with end-user solution circa 2011)
- Detect / force a Mac to use dedicated graphics card ? (Mac in power saving mode)
- How to get Unity working on dual gpu laptop? (Ubuntu Linux - with end-user solution)