This Question asks how to set per-object clipping to stop specific far away objects being clipped.
The LayerCullDistances property achieves this, but only controls the far clipping plane, not the close plane.
Is there a similar alternative which can configure the close plane?
What would the reason be for Unity to expose the Far plane, but not the close plane?
Solving a similar problem came to this solution:
- I placed the objects which should be clipped near the camera in a dedicated layer
- added a copy of the main camera component, and
- changed its Culling mask limited to this layer,
- set its near Clipping plane to desirable (0.05), and far clipping plane to 1 (which is greater than the near clipping plane of my main camera),
- set its Depth larger than the Depth of the main camera.
- Set the new Camera Clear Flags to SkyBox
- Set main Camera Clear Flags to Don’t Clear
This works in mobile VR mode also. Didn’t notice any performance issues
Is there a way to do this without another camera?