How to get a camera to render to render texture at a custom aspect ratio.

• I am rendering to a render texture to display in game.
  • I want this to be at 4:3 aspect ratio whilst the game is 16:9

If I set the render texture to a 4:3 ratio and the camera viewport to a 4:3 ratio I would expect to get a 4:3 image. Instead I am getting a letterboxed 16:9 image stretched to fit 4:3.

• My current solution is to use a shader to crop the image and then stretch the shape.
  • This is obviously bad.

Has anyone got a better solution to this? Ideally I want to change the aspect ratio of the camera and then have it render everything in the viewport to a render texture without the letterboxing.

• Changing the aspect ratio (in code) of the camera doesn’t do anything other than break calculations.
  • Field of view is tied to the aspect ratio of the camera so I can’t edit it to change the shape of the frustrum.
  • The image output is being used very specifically so 4:3 for both output and camera is necessary and black bars cannot be easily hidden.

Cheers folks.

I eventually figured out how to do this so I’ll leave the answer here in case anyone else stumbles across it.

• Change the camera viewport width to get the aspect ratio you need.

• after applying the mainTexture to the material set mainTextureScale to:

.material.mainTextureScale = new Vector2(m_Camera.rect.width, m_Camera.rect.height);

where m_Camera is the name of your camera. This will stretch the texture to fit the quad (no more letterboxing) you can then transform the quad as you see fit.