How to get localPosition to work on parented object C#

Sorry, this is probably really simple stuff, but I can’t seem to find any similar post. I can’t seem to get “localPosition” to work in conjunction with parenting. When I parent the instantiated object then it appears at the exact same position as its parents even though I am changing its “localPossition”.

Simply put, the following code works perfectly. But if I un-comment the commented line of code, then all of the instantiated prefabs appear on top of each other at coordinate of the game object running the script.

public void showInputs(){
		int inputCount = 0;
		for(int a = 0 ; a < 3 ; a++ ){
			for(int b = 0 ; b < 2 ; b++ ){
				input[inputCount] = Instantiate(Resources.Load("InputPrefab")) as GameObject;
				Vector3 temp = gameObject.transform.position;
				temp.x += startingWidth/ Screen.width + (inputWidth / Screen.width) * (float)(a);
				temp.y += startingHieght/ Screen.height - (inputHieght / Screen.height) * (float)(b);
				temp.z = 5;
				//input[inputCount].transform.parent = gameObject.transform;
				input[inputCount].transform.localPosition = temp;
				inputCount++;
			}
		}
	}

As they don’t have a parent assigned then assigning a value to .localPosition is equivalent to assigning to .position. This would explain why things currently “work”.

However if you assign a parent, then .localPosition is influenced by the parent’s scale. Is the parent’s scale something other than (1,1,1)?