How to let a television be the light source within a scene

I am trying to create this scene within Unity. The only problem is I don’t get this television lighting done. I get it done to place a television that plays a video but I want it to also work as a light source as you can see in the image.

I’ve already tried things like using an area lights or transparant emission plane. Problem with the area light is that it does the lighting done but the screen itself is not ‘glowing’ I could use an emission image but then the video won’t be visible…

Hope some 1 has a nice solution!

Emission maps for glowing screens are outlined as an example in the Unity docs: Unity - Manual: Emission

![alt text][1]

These maps need to be tuned in the same way normal and height maps are, with the glowing / emitting areas matching the albedo / texture map. There are plenty of guides online for doing this:

[1]: https://docs.unity3d.com/uploads/Main/StandardShaderEmissiveBakedEffect.png

Was trying to work this out for ages. It’s simple to get that glow in UE4 I thought there must be an easy way to do this. Turns out you just need to put your render texture in as the emission map :slight_smile:

See below:
https://heizenrader.com/part-2-how-to-set-up-unitys-video-player-for-2d-ui-3d-viewing/

I will look in to this more, but yeah, I know just what you’re talking about. I made a scene like that already, but I just used emission textures and an off-white(blue) light(with flickering in intensity) to simulate a TV-Screen glow (inspired by PS One’s Parasite Eve 2). It looks good (TV’s seem to send a similar light color), but I would like to have a TV glow that matched what was shown on TV, saving me from having to adjust the emissions and textures. I’ll post any good results here, but one way we might get this is if we just use the render-texture (that is showing the video) as the diffuse AND emission textures, it might be that simple. Or, if not, we might be able to grab frames of the video to use as a sort of ‘light-probe’ to adjust (every-so-often) the light coming from the TV.

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

/*  Purpose of this script is to control 5 cubes based on sound
 *   written in C#
*/
public class audioSpecDazzle : MonoBehaviour {

public GameObject cube01;
 public GameObject cube02;
 public GameObject cube03;
 public GameObject cube04;
 public GameObject cube05;

public float juice = 5.0f;

public float[] spec;

public float specMag01;
 public float specMag02;
 public float specMag03;
 public float specMag04;
 public float specMag05;

// Use this for initialization
 void Start () {

}

// Update is called once per frame
 void Update () {
  //spec = AudioListener.GetSpectrumData(64,0,FFTWindow.Hamming); // this works on audio source
  spec = AudioListener.GetOutputData (64,0);  // this gives much  better values.

specMag01 = spec[2] + spec[4];
  specMag02 = spec[12] + spec[14];
  specMag03 = spec[22] + spec[24];
  specMag04 = spec[32] + spec[34];
  specMag05 = spec[57] + spec[60];

cube01.gameObject.transform.localScale = new Vector3(1f,specMag01*juice,1f);
  cube02.gameObject.transform.localScale = new Vector3(1f,specMag02*juice,1f);
  cube03.gameObject.transform.localScale = new Vector3(1f,specMag03*juice,1f);
  cube04.gameObject.transform.localScale = new Vector3(1f,specMag04*juice,1f);
  cube05.gameObject.transform.localScale = new Vector3(1f,specMag05*juice,1f);
 }
}

did you finally make your scene light up by the tv screen? im having the same problem

In case still someone still looking for it
In my case, my scene is a dark room so my workaround is to play video on the plane too, with low brightness. To adjust separate brightness I have used layers.