How to pathfind with A* using tile based movement.

First off let me say, I’m completely new to using A* Pathfinding and have been watching some videos/reading docs. I grasp the basic concept of how it works, but don’t really have to much of an idea of how to implement it in my project.

I am making a game that is similar to old-school RPG games like the original Might and Magic series. The movement is tile based, meaning that you move 1 unit at a time in any given direction. I would like to be able to have enemies that move in the same fashion. Ideally, they would detect when the player is in a certain radius an then begin moving tile by tile in the players direction.

What I was hoping for, was someone that might point me in the right direction of how to do start implementing this. I have downloaded the free version of A* Pathfinding from the unity asset store, but I can’t find any learning material that correlates with what I’m trying to achieve.

Thanks for your time.

Probably A* is a bit too complicated at your level. Try making some smaller games and work your way up. You can’t get experience if you don’t start small and work your way up.