How to set a fixed camera width?

Hi!

I’m actually making a 2D game for mobiles and I don’t know how to correctly configure the camera.

I have an othographic camera and I want it to work with all possible aspect ratio without changing de width of the view.

(it’s a landscape game where objects are spawning at the right of the screen and you need to catch them at the left of the screen, so I need to see these two part in all the aspect ratio possible).

In other words: I need the aspect ratio to only change the height on the camera.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Here is what I’m using. I think it will work for landscape also, but in my case I’m making a portrait game. This script has tons of comments, and one line I don’t really understand, but figured out through trial and error with the help of Excel. The “variable” (adjustable) part of the screen is the bottom. The camera stays “docked” to the top of the view and keeps a fixed width, but since something has to give, it shows more or hides the bottom of screen as needed (so you need to have plenty of “fluff” down there). You might find a design like this in one of those “bubble shooter” type games.

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

// This script must be attached to a camera, and it assumes a start localPosition.y value of 0
[RequireComponent(typeof(Camera))]
public class FixedWidthCamera : MonoBehaviour
{
    // This is whatever you set the game viewport width to at design time.  At this width whatever camera size you
    //  have set should be the optimal width (your game should look good at design time).
    public int DesignTimeScreenWidth = 320;

// Same as above, but for height.
    public int DesignTimeScreenHeight = 480;

// Max amount, in world units, that you want to allow to be cropped off the bottom of view in order to
    //  attempt to maintain the fixed width.
    //  Easy way to get this value:
    //   Drag camera up (increase Y value) as high as you want to allow (stop before anything important is
    //   hidden), then copy/paste the Y value of camera to this property.
    public float MaxCropWorldUnits = 1;

// The ortho size of your camera should be set to whatever looks best at design time.  The value will
    //  be saved in Awake and used for calculations in Update.
    float DesignTimeOrthographicSize;

// See Awake for this simple calculation.
    float DesignTimeAspectRatio;

void Awake()
    {
        DesignTimeOrthographicSize = camera.orthographicSize;

// We just calculate the design-time aspect ratio based on width and height settings.  We could remove width
        //  and height and just let you enter the aspect ratio, but this way is easier for most people.
        DesignTimeAspectRatio = (float)DesignTimeScreenWidth / DesignTimeScreenHeight;
    }

void Update ()
    {
        // Calculate the current aspect ratio.
        float aspectRatio = (float)Screen.width / Screen.height;

// I don't know a good way to explain this calculation.  Because of the way Unity auto-adjusts to keep a
        //  fixed height when the aspect ratio changes -- it's complicated (for me anyway).
        //  This gives us the correct camera size to maintain a fixed width, but we might adjust below.
        float size = (float)DesignTimeOrthographicSize/((float)aspectRatio/DesignTimeAspectRatio);
        Debug.Log(DesignTimeOrthographicSize + "/" + aspectRatio + "/" + DesignTimeAspectRatio + "=" + size);

// Calculate the new camera Y location.  This is simply the difference between our design-time ortho size
        //  and the new size we calculated above.
        float cameraY = DesignTimeOrthographicSize - size;

// This is the amount, in world units, that will cropped from the bottom of the screen.
        //  We use *2 because the camera size is also changing by an equal amount, which also causes cropping,
        //   so *2 accounts for both the position and size cropping.
        float cropAmount = cameraY * 2;

// If new size is going to crop more than our max...
        if (cropAmount > MaxCropWorldUnits)
        {
            // Set cameraY to half of our max (since position is half of the cropping).
            cameraY = MaxCropWorldUnits / 2;

// Adjust size by same amount we adjust cameraY (since size is the other half of cropping).
            size = DesignTimeOrthographicSize - cameraY;
        }
        /*else if (cropAmount < MaxExpandWorldUnits)
        {
         * We could have another variable for max expansion, but to avoid that we would have to let the width get
         * narrower, and that will not work for a lot of game designs, so not adding extra code for it.
         * NOTE: cropAmount will be negative if height is increasing (taller than design time aspect ratio)
        }*/

// Set new camera size and Y position.  We set local position so you can always place the camera inside
        //  another game object and use that to adjust Y if you want a camera that isn't Y=0 based but do not
        //  want to modify this script to support that.  Since we don't adjust X this should work for a side-scroller
        //  type camera as well.
        camera.orthographicSize = size;
        Vector3 v3 = camera.transform.localPosition;
        v3.y = cameraY;
        camera.transform.localPosition = v3;
    }
}