How to target multiple enemies (add to list)

Hi!
I’m pretty new to Unity and completely new to the forum so apologies if I do something wrong.
I’m trying to target a number of enemies with an ability. The number of targets is defined by a scriptable object so it needs to be able to change depending on the ability.
I’m trying to do it by adding the enemies to a list when you click them, but I can’t get it to work and can’t find anything by Googling (I’m at that stage where I don’t quite know what to Google). At the moment it seems to add all the enemies as soon as I activate the ability. (It’s turn based combat if that makes any difference).

if (!abilityOne.IsGather)
                                    {

do
                                    {
                                        targetCD = abilityOne.NumTargets;
                                    }
                                    while (targetCD < 1);    

if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0) && targets.Count < abilityOne.NumTargets)
                                    {                                                                                                       
                                        IDamagable target1 = (hit.collider.gameObject.GetComponent<IDamagable>());   
                                        targets.Add(target1);                                                                                                                                             
                                    }                                                                       

if (targets.Count == abilityOne.NumTargets)
                                    {                                    

foreach (IDamagable target in targets)    
                                        {
                                            int randdam = Random.Range(abilityOne.DamageL + focus, abilityOne.DamageH + 1);
                                            int randheal = Random.Range(abilityOne.HealL + focus, abilityOne.HealH + 1);
                                            Vector3 targetlocation = target.Location;

if (randdam > abilityOne.DamageH)
                                            {
                                                randdam = abilityOne.DamageH;
                                            }

if (randheal > abilityOne.HealH)
                                            {
                                                randheal = abilityOne.HealH;
                                            }  

if (target != null && Vector3.Distance(Location, targetlocation) < abilityOne.AbilityRange)
                                                if(water >= abilityOne.CostWater && actionpoints >= abilityOne.CostAP)
                                                {

if (abilityOne.IsAttack)
                                                    {
                                                        target.Damage(randdam);                   
                                                        randdam = 0;
                                                    }                                        

if (abilityOne.IsHeal)
                                                    {
                                                        target.Heal(randheal);
                                                    }

if (abilityOne.Knockback == Knockback.Target)
                                                    {
                                                        float force = 500;  
                                                        Vector3 dir = transform.position - target.Location;
                                                        dir = -dir.normalized;
                                                        target.Falling = true;
                                                        target.obj.GetComponent<Rigidbody>().AddForce(dir*force);
                                                    }

}
                                            } 

targetCD -= 1;

} 

if (targetCD == 0)
                                    {
                                        water -= abilityOne.CostWater;
                                        actionpoints -= abilityOne.CostAP;
                                        ability = 0;    
                                    }

}     
                                }  

Also if I don’t have the do while loop bit it just goes straight to the bottom bit and ends the ability. As you can probably tell I have no real idea what I’m doing.
What is it I’m doing wrong? Or is there just a whole better way of doing this that’s completely different?

It does seem like you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill. If you use lists, you can basically pass a regex that only accepts the ones with the ability. There’s a library you need to import though, I think it’s linq?
Anyway, you can use this:

List<ability> abilities = new List<ability>();

Abilities = FindObjectsOfType().Where((g) => g.getcomponent<Ability>().type == some type);

My syntax is probably off here, but the overall idea is the same. Look up the .Where keyword for lists.