Input.GetAxisRaw isnt being called?

I have a script that takes user input from the horizontal and vertical axes via Update, stores them in 2 floats, moveX and moveY, and calculate velocity of the rigidbody2D via FixedUpdate. the calculation is done in a separate function. I first calculate the velocity along the x axis and then the velocity along the y. While the Y is getting registered, the x isnt. I swapped up the order in which the calculation is done and the condition swapped as well; now x is being registered while y isnt. Help!

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class PlayerMovement : MonoBehaviour
{
    public Rigidbody2D rb2d;
    float moveX;
    float moveY;
    public float moveSpeed;

private void Start()
    {
        rb2d = GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>();
    }

private void Update()
    {
        moveX = Input.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal");
        moveY = Input.GetAxisRaw("Vertical");
    }

private void FixedUpdate()
    {
        CalculateVelocity();
    }

void CalculateVelocity()
    {
        if (moveX != 0)
        {
            rb2d.velocity = Vector2.right * new Vector2(moveX, rb2d.velocity.y) * moveSpeed;
        }
        else rb2d.velocity = Vector2.zero;

if (moveY != 0)
        {
            rb2d.velocity = transform.up * new Vector2(rb2d.velocity.x, moveY) * moveSpeed;
        }
        else rb2d.velocity = Vector2.zero;
    }
}

You multiple rb2d.velocity by either Vector2.right or transform.up. Both of these vectors resets one axis to zero. It’s becuase:

Vector2.right = new Vector2(1, 0);

transform.up = new Vector2(0, 1); or transform.up = new Vector2(0, -1); (or something different if the game object is rotated)

The fix to your problem should be simple as writing something like this instead:

rb2d.velocity = new Vector2(
  moveX * moveSpeed,
  moveY * moveSpeed
);