Input System 1.4.1 released

Dear Input System users!

Please hold upgrading, we're investigating the issues found below.

We released version 1.4.1 of the Input System package.
Note that Input System 1.4.0 was never promoted/published due to a regression being found late in testing.

Release notes summary:

• Added/extended support for gamepads: Nintendo Switch compatible controllers, SteelSeries Nimbus+ on Mac.
  • Added support for Unity Remote app with the Input System on Unity 2021.2.18 and later.
  • Added a new DeltaControl for relative value controls, e.g. Mouse delta/scroll.
  • Added a new API for getting and setting parameter values on interactions, processors and composites.
  • Added support for keyboard shortcuts and mutually exclusive use of modifiers.
  • Added support for Game Core platforms to XR layouts, devices, and input controls.
  • 25 bug fixes in various areas: actions, device management, processors etc.

Complete Changelog: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/InputSystem/blob/develop/Packages/com.unity.inputsystem/CHANGELOG.md

This version will become the recommended version for all supported Unity versions down to 2020.3 but it won't show up in the package manager as such just yet. You can however add it via the manifest file in your project.

4 Likes

I upgraded and now my Keyboard WASD (Movement) doesn't work (everything else seems fine, gamepad Movement works)

8265576--1082412--upload_2022-7-9_19-17-13.png

I read the value like this:
....Movement.ReadValue();

Is there something new I must change?

8 Likes

Could you be so kind and report this via the bug reporter and attach the project so we can go through the upgrade internally? If so please ping the case ID here so we can get it out of the incoming queue :)

Meaning there shouldn't be any changes to how keyboard works.

1 Like

[quote=“Schubkraft”, post:3, topic: 887269]
Could you be so kind and report this via the bug reporter and attach the project so we can go through the upgrade internally? If so please ping the case ID here so we can get it out of the incoming queue :slight_smile:

Meaning there shouldn’t be any changes to how keyboard works.
[/quote]
No, I won’t, I think you confusing me for your testing department. I’m your paying client.

Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh but the bugs that I have to deal with coming out from Unity lately makes it obvious you have no testers and barely test yourselves. The last bug I reported a few days ago was that the left motor on the PlayStation gamepad doesn’t work, another perfect example of no testing been performed.

It’s incredible time consuming when we come across a bug, because we have to first double check everything ourselves to try work out why it isn’t working or what exactly isn’t working. Then we have to post on the forums and/or submit a bug which means creating a new project to re-create the bug so that we can upload the project so that you guys can verify and fix it.

I’m sure you guys are capable of testing this out yourselves from the info I have supplied here and realize this is high enough priority that you should do that yourselves ASAP… you know because it’s keyboard input for movement something the majority of PC games use.

18 Likes

Lol good luck getting that prioritized... :eyes:

2 Likes

We did indeed not see such an issue when upgrade testing internally and am sorry for your troubles. We went back and looked again, used a different project that after the upgrades does throw an error for keyboard use, but the keyboard controls are still functional.
We'll look into that but are not sure if that will fix what you are seeing in your project.

[quote=“Schubkraft”, post:6, topic: 887269]
We did indeed not see such an issue when upgrade testing internally and am sorry for your troubles. We went back and looked again, used a different project that after the upgrades does throw an error for keyboard use, but the keyboard controls are still functional.
We’ll look into that but are not sure if that will fix what you are seeing in your project.
[/quote]
Ok thanks, let me know once you fixed that bug and it’s out and I’ll test it out again.

@Schubkraft

On a project with Unity 2020.3.36f1 I can update the Inputsystem to 1.4.1.
But on Unity 2021.3.2f1 I cant seem to select the 1.4.1 version. There is no way to "See other versions" and select it, I only can use and set the 1.3.0 version (attached screenshot).
Am I missing something or is this a package manager bug?

8277642--1084803--InputSystemIssue.png

[quote=“BTStone_1”, post:8, topic: 887269]
@Schubkraft

On a project with Unity 2020.3.36f1 I can update the Inputsystem to 1.4.1.
But on Unity 2021.3.2f1 I cant seem to select the 1.4.1 version. There is no way to “See other versions” and select it, I only can use and set the 1.3.0 version (attached screenshot).
Am I missing something or is this a package manager bug?

[/quote]

The changes to the recommended/available versions are not landing in order of Unity releases. You can add the package if you want to by changing the version number in the manifest file under Packages folder in your project for all Unity versions though.

[quote=“Schubkraft”, post:9, topic: 887269]
The changes to the recommended/available versions are not landing in order of Unity releases. You can add the package if you want to by changing the version number in the manifest file under Packages folder in your project for all Unity versions though.
[/quote]

But in which order (if in any) do they land? My (maybe naive) assumption was that as long as a package is compatible with a Unity release, the version will show up in the package manager?

[quote=“Schubkraft”, post:3, topic: 887269]
Could you be so kind and report this via the bug reporter and attach the project so we can go through the upgrade internally? If so please ping the case ID here so we can get it out of the incoming queue :slight_smile:

Meaning there shouldn’t be any changes to how keyboard works.
[/quote]

@Schubkraft

I mentioned this in another thread weeks ago, but I too am experiencing this issue. WASD input breaks completely for me when upgrading to 1.4.1. Everything else seems to work fine.

What’s really interesting is that this is EXCLUSIVE to WASD. If I rebind my movement keys to anything other than WASD (like YGHJ or arrow keys) it works just fine. If I move it over to RDFG, then only “D” fails to work consistently - so there’s definitely something specific about WASD that’s causing the issue.

My project is too large to upload as an example, but I actually fetch WASD input completely differently than @SniperED007 - I just directly poll whether the key is pressed or not.

kbmMove = new Vector2(System.Convert.ToInt32(buttonIsDown("Strafe Right")) - System.Convert.ToInt32(buttonIsDown("Strafe Left")), System.Convert.ToInt32(buttonIsDown("Forward")) - System.Convert.ToInt32(buttonIsDown("Backward")));

Here’s the “buttonIsDown” function referred to here:

public bool buttonIsDown(string inputName)
    {
        bool foundKey = false;
        InputAction targetAction = playerControls.FindAction(inputName);
        if (targetAction != null)
        {
            {
                if (targetAction.IsPressed())
                {
                    return true;
                }
                else { return false; }
            }
        }
        return false;
    }

… and the Forward/Backward/etc. Input Actions are just simple button presses, not hybrid inputs or anything. Perhaps a bit primitive, but this allowed me to tie the Input System into my custom one I used to use without rewriting my entire game’s input.

EDIT -

Wanted to include a snapshot of my Input Action Map just to show that there’s no other movement binds for WASD, such as a hybrid input, that might be overlapping and causing issues. The only dedicated movement binding other than the Forward/Backward/etc. is an axis reading for Gamepad Left Stick.

EDIT PART 2 -

Just to eliminate another culprit, I replaced my default binds in the Input Action Map with YGHJ instead of WASD. Once in-game, YGHJ worked fine, but if I rebound the keys back to WASD (using PerformInteractiveRebinding and overriding), the issue returned. Definitely seems to be very specific to WASD.

3 Likes

https://discussions.unity.com/t/875241
can anyone see this issue?

[quote=“Schubkraft”, post:1, topic: 887269]
Dear Input System users!

We released version 1.4.1 of the Input System package.
Note that Input System 1.4.0 was never promoted/published due to a regression being found late in testing.

Release notes summary:

• Added/extended support for gamepads: Nintendo Switch compatible controllers, SteelSeries Nimbus+ on Mac.
  • Added support for Unity Remote app with the Input System on Unity 2021.2.18 and later.
  • Added a new DeltaControl for relative value controls, e.g. Mouse delta/scroll.
  • Added a new API for getting and setting parameter values on interactions, processors and composites.
  • Added support for keyboard shortcuts and mutually exclusive use of modifiers.
  • Added support for Game Core platforms to XR layouts, devices, and input controls.
  • 25 bug fixes in various areas: actions, device management, processors etc.

Complete Changelog: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/InputSystem/blob/develop/Packages/com.unity.inputsystem/CHANGELOG.md

This version will become the recommended version for all supported Unity versions down to 2020.3 but it won’t show up in the package manager as such just yet. You can however add it via the manifest file in your project.
[/quote]

Upgraded too to 1.4.1 and my WASD keys don’t work as well. Also, I tested on older versions, where they work as intended, and even on a clean just made project.

3 Likes

After upgrading from 1.3.0 to 1.4.1, I noticed my OneModifierComposite stopped working. I tested a bit more and found Left Ctrl/Alt doesn't work with any of the Mouse buttons. Right Ctrl/Alt is fine though. It works in a fresh project, so this is only an issue with my project. One of my settings must be wrong, any clue what could've changed in the upgrade?

8294150--1087376--upload_2022-7-19_17-28-31.png

1 Like

[quote=“WeiTinYuen”, post:14, topic: 887269]
After upgrading from 1.3.0 to 1.4.1, I noticed my OneModifierComposite stopped working. I tested a bit more and found Left Ctrl/Alt doesn’t work with any of the Mouse buttons. Right Ctrl/Alt is fine though. It works in a fresh project, so this is only an issue with my project. One of my settings must be wrong, any clue what could’ve changed in the upgrade?
[/quote]
I did some more testing and noticed my issue is caused by having the same Composite Binding on multiple actions, only one action will receive input, which matches the new feature in 1.4.1 “Added support for keyboard shortcuts and mutually exclusive use of modifiers”. However the included feature toggle isn’t working for me.

InputSystem.settings.SetInternalFeatureFlag("DISABLE_SHORTCUT_SUPPORT", true);

2 Likes

[quote=“Schubkraft”, post:9, topic: 887269]
[/quote]

Could we get some clarification about the changes in Input system 1.4.1? I am indeed having issue with keyboard movements set to wasd. In version 1.3, i could use wasd but could not bind A and D in the user menu. With version 1.4.1, in can bind them but not use them. I don’t think it’s a bug, it probably just behaves differently.

Here is how i set it up to move my character with wasd, arrows, gamepad joystick and d-pad, but i might be doing it wrong:

8304933--1089399--upload_2022-7-23_15-30-31.png

I can give access to my Github to Unity team members if needed.

1 Like

[quote=“Magnesium”, post:16, topic: 887269]
Could we get some clarification about the changes in Input system 1.4.1? I am indeed having issue with keyboard movements set to wasd. In version 1.3, i could use wasd but could not bind A and D in the user menu. With version 1.4.1, in can bind them but not use them. I don’t think it’s a bug, it probably just behaves differently.

Here is how i set it up to move my character with wasd, arrows, gamepad joystick and d-pad, but i might be doing it wrong:

I can give access to my Github to Unity team members if needed.
[/quote]

change and use Rewired package, at least it works

1 Like

I was actually running in the same issue - the WASD keys are not working anymore. I was able to fix it by changing the order of action maps:

If the "UI" action map is first, the "Move" event doesn't fire. If I move the "UI" action map to the bottom, after my own maps, it does.
I was not able to reproduce it in a minimal project though. But maybe somebody with the same issue can try this workaround and confirm it.

We're still looking into the regression of 1.4.1. Very sorry for this to happen, but for now the workaround is to not upgrade until we can fix these things :(

5 Likes

[quote=“Schubkraft”, post:19, topic: 887269]
We’re still looking into the regression of 1.4.1. Very sorry for this to happen, but for now the workaround is to not upgrade until we can fix these things :frowning:
[/quote]

I can understand that fixing bugs takes work but i hope it’s kinda high in the todo list.

Reverting back to previous version does not help a lot since i cannot assign A and D. It works for testing, but i could not release the game to the public if i wanted. Or maybe i should revert to an even earlier version? What is the latest known functional version of the package?