Instant Transform.Rotate?

I want to make a light switch, and want to use transform.rotate to make the button turn from 14,0,0 to -14,0,0 and vice versa, but my script keeps bringing up the following errors:

Assets/LightSwitchRotation.cs(8,23): error CS0131: The left-hand side of an assignment must be a variable, a property or an indexer

Assets/LightSwitchRotation.cs(11,28): error CS0131: The left-hand side of an assignment must be a variable, a property or an indexer

This is my script:

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class LightSwitchRotation : MonoBehaviour {

private void OnMouseDown()
{
	if (transform.Rotate = (new Vector3(-14,0,0)))
		{transform.Rotate(new Vector3(14,0,0));}

else if (transform.Rotate = (new Vector3(14,0,0)))
	{transform.Rotate(new Vector3(-14,0,0));}
}
}

Your comparisons are incorrect.

First you need to use == instead of = in an if statement. A single equal sign will assign a value to something; double equal signs compare if two things are the same. This is what your error is actually referring to, because the compiler sees transform.Rotate = new Vector3(-14,0,0) and it says “Oh, you are trying to assign a vector to a function, that’s not good!”

Second, transform.Rotate is a function that is used to rotate an object by some amount, so it doesn’t make sense to use it in the comparison statements. Instead, you probably want transform.rotation.eulerAngles or transform.eulerAngles . Both do the same thing.

Therefore, you code should look like this:

private void OnMouseDown()
{
    if (transform.eulerAngles == new Vector3(-14,0,0))
    {
        transform.Rotate(new Vector3(14,0,0));
    }
    else if (transform.eulerAngles == new Vector3(14,0,0))
    {
        transform.Rotate(new Vector3(-14,0,0));        
    }
}

You could also just check to see if transform.eulerAngles.x == -14 instead