instantiate an object of unknown type

I have the following list of types:

shapeTypes = new List<System.Type>();
shapeTypes.Add(typeof(ShapeA));
shapeTypes.Add(typeof(ShapeB));

both types ShapeA and ShapeB inherit from class Shape.
Now, I want to use this list to create a new object of type either ShapeA or ShapeB

//get random shape type
    int typesSize = shapeTypes.Count;
    int typeRand = Random.Range(0, typesSize);
    System.Type type = shapeTypes[typeRand];
    Material material = GetRandomMaterial();
    var newShape = (Shape)System.Activator.CreateInstance(type, material);

I get the following error:

MissingMethodException: Default constructor not found for type ShapeA
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceMono (System.Boolean nonPublic) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow (System.Boolean publicOnly, System.Boolean skipCheckThis, System.Boolean fillCache, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark& stackMark) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor (System.Boolean publicOnly, System.Boolean skipCheckThis, System.Boolean fillCache, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark& stackMark) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type, System.Boolean nonPublic) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)

ShapeA does have a contructor:

public ShapeA(Material color) : base(color)
{
    //some stuff here
}

So I have a couple of questions.

1. how do I fix this?
  2. is there a better way to do what I’m trying to do. What I’m trying to do is instantiate an object of an unknown type from a list of types.

Thank you.

I found an answer to my first question. The error was that I was passing the argument to the constructor in the wrong way so It was overloading to the wrong type.

Material material = GetRandomMaterial();

object[] lstArgument = { material };

Shape s = (Shape)System.Activator.CreateInstance(type, lstArgument);