Instantiate prefab as child - Won't work, don't know why.

I’ve done this before, I even tore code out of a previous project that I know to work, but for some reason, it does not… I get:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Regardless of what I’ve tried.

void Update () 
	{
	if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.Mouse1) && Time.time > fireRate)
		{
			fireRate = Time.time + 1.5f;
			Rigidbody2D bladeClone;
			bladeClone = Instantiate(blade, transform.position, transform.rotation) as Rigidbody2D;
			bladeClone.transform.parent = transform;
		}
	}
}

I have no idea why it doesn’t work in one of the multiple iterations i’ve tried.

I’ve stored the transform as a variable in both the object to which the script is attached AND in much more complicated fashion; through a script on the object that is being instantiated itself, among other things.

No variation works, neither GameObject.Find, Storing the transform as a local or even global variable.

If I press Mouse1 and pause after the object appears and MANUALLY parent it to the object in question, nothing bad happens, and I get the exact result I would’ve expected the code to produce.

I’m at a loss. Code that used to work in previous projects has also broken for seemingly no reason.

I’ve been beating my head against this for hours now.

What am I missing here?

I eventually tried a new approach via tagging and searching from the instantiated object by attaching the following script to the prefab:

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class basicBldTest : MonoBehaviour {

Transform parent;

void Start () {
		parent = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag                   ("MeleePivot").transform;
		this.gameObject.transform.parent = parent;
   }
}

I shouldn’t have to have done this, however, so the whole thing still irks me.