Instantiate working in Awake but on in Update

So I have a list of gameobjects, the list is linked to some UI elements through which I can click to decide which gameobject I want to create. To try out this code I wrote a simple timer in my update to create the object selected in my UI elemet every 3 seconds.

activeBuilding is the var that the list adjusts to decide which building to instantiate

When I call the instantiate line in Awake it works fine (with the list number assigned directly in the code to activeBuilding). However, when I try the same thing in Update it gives me an “Argumentoutofrangeexpection: argument is out of range”.

Im not sure what I am doing wrong here, please let me know if you need any more information to help me out! This is my code:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class Buildings : MonoBehaviour {

private int BuildingType;
    private int BuildingGroup;

public List<GameObject> BuildingList;

private int activeBuilding = 3;

private float time = 0;

public void selectBuilding(int index)
    {
        activeBuilding = index;     
    }
    private void Awake()
    {
        selectBuilding(0);
    }
    public void BuildingCreation()
    {
    }
	private void Start () {
        BuildingList = new List<GameObject>();
    }
	public void Update () {

selectBuilding(activeBuilding);

time += Time.deltaTime;

if (time > 3)
        {
            Debug.Log("active building = " + activeBuilding);
            Instantiate(BuildingList[activeBuilding], new Vector3(10, 01, 10), Quaternion.identity);
            time = 0;
        }
    }
}

Are you assigning BuildingList in the inspector? If so, when you initialize it in Start(), you are nuking the list and replacing it with a new 0-length list (so any index will be out of range). You can initialize the list on declaration instead:

public List<GameObject> BuildingList = new List<GameObject> ();