Instantiating Prefab fails but no error message

Hi all,

I have an issue instantiating prefabs. I generate tiles for my game and I want to display an effect (the prefab) on top of each tile. I tried everything I could think off. The prefab is recognized as a gameobject (I checked using Debug.Log) I can also execute code before and after without any problem.

The prefab is in a singleton and that seems to be causing some problems. Anybody came across this before ?
This is my singleton which contains an array of GameObject with my prefabs : infoSkins

public class TileManager : MonoBehaviour {
        public GameObject[] infoSkins;
	#region
	//Awake is always called before any Start functions
	void Awake()
	{
		//Check if instance already exists
		if (instance == null)
			//if not, set instance to this
			instance = this;
		//If instance already exists and it's not this:
		else if (instance != this)
			//Then destroy this. This enforces our singleton pattern, meaning there can only ever be one instance of a GameManager.
			Destroy(gameObject);
	}
	#endregion //Singleton setup

I then call this method when the game starts:

public void Initialise(Vector2 currentPos, int row, int col){
		pos = currentPos;
            InstantiateInfoVFX();
    }

public void InstantiateInfoVFX()
    {
        if (targetCategory.type == "Fire")
        {
            GameObject.Instantiate(TileManager.instance.infoSkins[0], new Vector3(pos.x, 0.3f, pos.y), Quaternion.identity); //This is not working, no objects is added to the hierachy
            Debug.Log("TEST"); //this however prints and the game runs fine
        }
     }

Can you check if the prefab you’re instantiating from is null. Also, you may as well check the instance while you’re at it. I know you said you already checked something similar, but this really helps a lot to narrow things down.

var prefab = TileManager.instance.infoSkins[0];
if (prefab == null) {
    Debug.Log("the prefab is NULL!");
} else {
    Debug.Log("the prefab is NOT null");
}

var instance = Instantiate(prefab, new Vector3(pos.x, 0.3f, pos.y), Quaternion.identity);
if (instance == null) {
    Debug.Log("the instance is NULL!");
} else {
    Debug.Log("the instance is NOT null");
}

Edit: Another thought, you might have 2 instances of your singleton, one of which is being quietly destroyed. Replace your tile manager’s Awake with the following:

private void Awake() {
	if (instance == null) {
		instance = this;
	} else {
		Debug.LogError("Found multiple TileManagers! Destroying instance.");
		Destroy(gameObject);
	}
}

This will show an error when you accidentally have multiple tile managers in your scene.