Is there a way to detect object collision detection based on camera perspective rather than direct polygonal collision in game space.

I was recently watching the fantastic “Making of Monument Valley” video on your tube - ustwo at Nordic Game 2014: Making of Monument Valley in Unity - YouTube (11:20) and have been fascinated by their navigation system.

They stated that because of their impossible shapes creating connections between some nodes could not occur in the gamespace, so they built a system that would be able to detect collision/overlap based on perspective and use that information to create a node connection.

I can’t seem to find any documentation or information about creating triggers based on 3d overlap/collision based on camera perspective - would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Adrian

I believe the camera in Monument Valley is always fixed, and each interactable object only has a few possible positions/rotations. So I don’t think there’s any real time “perspective collision” calculations going on - there’s a relatively small number of combinations so it’s easy to maintain an array of what nodes are connected to each other for every possible level state.

I would start with using a Raycast from the center of the camera and seeing what I can do with that. You might be able to use a raycast to find the distance between both nodes to see if they are close enough to be a connection.

Perhaps you could use oddly shaped colliders that are skewed to look normal from the camera but just like the world would be.