Is there an easy way to add a brightness/gamma menu setting for the iPhone?

I'd like to add an option to turn the overall gamma/brightness up or down, in the options game menu. For example, there's something similar in Doom Resurrection, called 'overbright'.

This would be pretty useful in my case, as some artwork is too dark on my iPhone 3G display, and it's much brighter on a 3GS or an iPod 2G.

Please let me know if there's an easy way to do this with Unity.

Thank you!

You could add a feature which uses a small script to turn the ambient light value up and down between some fixed range. You wouldn't want them to be able to turn it all the way up, but perhaps somewhere between 10% and 40% might be a good range for a general "brightness" slider.

For example, if ambientDarkest and ambientLightest are defined as colors (dark grey and lighter grey respectively), and slidervalue is the 0-1 value returned from your brightness slider:

RenderSettings.ambientLight = Color.Lerp(ambientDarkest, ambientLightest, sliderValue);

I don't think there is anything in the Unity API to do this, but you could request this feature using the Report Bug app that comes with Unity.

The way Doom did it is by using GL_RGB_SCALE.

I.e. glTexEnvf( GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_RGB_SCALE, 4 );

(Valid values are 1, 2, and 4. 1 is the default.)

I don't know how you'd set your GL combiner operations inside Unity, but if you figure that out you could set that particular parameter and see what happens.