Is there any alternative to Sprites in Unity 2D version?

FISRT OF ALL, SORRY IF I USE BAD ENGLISH, BUT I WILL TRY TO SPEAK AS CLEAR AS POSIBBLE, I said that because, this question is important to me, so If you don’t understood something during the long read you can ask me with no worries :wink:

Yes, I say that because I’m an awful sprite sheet designer (designer, in general, only with say you that I use “Paint” for my “artworks”, you can imagine how awful I am), I only use existing sprite sheets to do that… And I’m starting with Unity 2D technologies…

I want to know if there is an alternative to sprites… I don’t know, for example, using linked parts of the body (in textures) with joints like a ragdoll and giving it movement with an script (I think that this options is the most dificult, but I’m only giving asking you the opinions of my “opinions”) or with programs, the difficult part is to find them, in the past, for example, I used that: http://pivotanimator.net/ I want to know if there is a similar program that joins textures to do sprites sheets…

I saw too this topic, but, well, I think that I would tell you what I’m trying to do, to give me opinions about “something”…

The story started when I was 13, and I played this game only for 3 days before its servers close to the public, I loved this game the 3 days I played… So, you can imagine the BIG letdown I had when it closed… Some days ago, I was bored with nothing to do, so I think, and why not I do that game again? Like a reborn…

So, what techniques do you think that this game used in its times? Sprites? I don’t think so…

My problem is that I don’t know where I can start (yes, the sprites are my weakness), What techiques…

Learn to do good sprites (including the sheets) is hard and slow… So, if there is any quicklier solution, I want to know this… :stuck_out_tongue:

So, bye and thanks in advance.

PD: I don’t reject the idea of use textures, but I like more use one texture and give it movement :stuck_out_tongue: Not to use hundreds of textures for each possibility… (Yes, in elder times the designer used that techniques, but I want to know if there is any modern solution)

PD2: I don’t know what is easier: if make a 3D proyect with an Orthographic camera, or a 2D game :stuck_out_tongue: What do you think about that?

Check out “Spine” from Esoteric Software - Spine Features Kickstarter - YouTube