Is there any performance differences between Coroutine methods ?

Hello everyone, I want to ask a real simple question. I am basically writing a script for zoom in & out according to the mouse input. I could just put all the code into the Update and lerp the object through boolean checks, but the problem is I need to be extra careful about script optimization in this project. So I avoid using update a lot, which means I use coroutines in order to lerp the object for zooming in & out. My problem is, I want the user to be able to have quick responses on mouse click. For example, right click starts zooming, but if I click it again in the middle of zooming in, I want it to zoom out, I don’t want it to wait for the first coroutine to finish zooming. So I need to use StopCoroutine. For example :

if(Input.GetButtonDown("Fire2"))
    {

pressedZoomButton = !pressedZoomButton;

if(pressedZoomButton)
    {
    StopCoroutine("ZoomOut");
    StartCoroutine("ZoomIn");
    }

else{
    StopCoroutine("ZoomIn");
    StartCoroutine("ZoomOut");

}
}

It works fine, no problems, but at first I tried to do it by using the method name, then I learned in order the StopCoroutine function to work it needs to be used with string method, also it needs to be used on a method which is also called with string method. I did it, it works, but I got a little bit suspicious, is using these coroutine string methods costy ? Will it cause any performance problems, because as far as I know strings are the things that we need to approach carefully.

Also really what is the difference between calling it by method name and by string, I mean technically ?

If you check the documentation : Unity - Scripting API: MonoBehaviour.StartCoroutine

It specifies that the Coroutine with a string gets a higher overhead runtime when you start it.

Despite this, no, there’s not really a technical difference. It’s just 2 ways to manage them, one is more costly at start.

It’s worth noting that, in Unity 5 you can store a reference to a running coroutine and stop it using the reference rather than a string. This will be more efficient than using strings.

This code throws an error in 4.6 and works perfectly in Unity 5

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class CoroutineTest : MonoBehaviour {

public bool doOnce;

public float TimeFromStart = 5;

Coroutine coLoop;

// Use this for initialization
	void Start () {

coLoop = StartCoroutine(CoroutineLoop());

}

// Update is called once per frame
	void Update () {

if(Time.time > TimeFromStart && ! doOnce)
		{
			Debug.Log ("StoppingCoroutine");
			StopCoroutine(coLoop);

doOnce = true;
		}

}

IEnumerator CoroutineLoop()
	{
		while(true)
		{
			yield return null;

Debug.Log("Still Running");

}

}

}

might not totaly be what you need in this case, but you could use a number or boolean to change with mouseclicks in your update and have that coroutine check the value to know if it should zoom in/out or not zoom. this way u dont have to start/stop coroutines and just have one running all the time basically “listening” for a new command to zoom again.