Jump to position in front of an object

I want to my camera to jump to a position right in front of a particular object so you can “inspect that object”. I currently have it set up that with raycasting you and point and select an object and jump to its position. However I wish to jump to a position just short of that object so that the player can look at it close up. I dont want to use a camera zoom function either. Any ideas for this? I know you can get the distance between two vectors and am wondering if I could somehow use that to travel a certain amount of that distance toward the object? Here is what I have in my code so far. I need this to go in the camJump function.

// Update is called once per frame
void Update () {
ray = new Ray(transform.position, transform.forward);

if (Physics.Raycast(ray, out hit)) {
		print ("There is something in front of the object");
		myTarget = hit.collider.gameObject;
		//float dist = Vector3.Distance(myTarget.transform.position, transform.position);
		//print("Distance to other: " + dist);
	}
	else {
		if(myTarget != null)
			myTarget = null;
		print ("Theres nothing ahead");
	}

if (Input.GetKeyUp (KeyCode.Space)){
		CamJump();

}

}

void CamJump(){
	if(!zoomed && myTarget != null){
		oldPos = transform.position; 
		transform.position = myTarget.transform.position; //maybe myTarget.transform.position - 1? or something
		//transform.LookAt(myTarget);
		zoomed = true;
	}
	else{
		transform.position = oldPos;
		zoomed = false;
	}

}

One easy way is to use transform.forward, and back up from that.

oldPos = transform.position; 
transform.position = myTarget.transform.position - transform.forward*someNumber;

forward is going to be a unit vector, so you’ll probably need to scale it. someNumber can either be a hardcoded number based on your experimentation, or a dynamic value based on properties of myTarget (which will allow you to achieve better zoom for obejcts of wildly different size).

Hope that helps!