Keeping track of time after calling Application.LoadLevel

Hello, I’d like some advice and a general direction for how to implement a certain game mechanic. I’m not sure if my current methods are viable or not.

I have a scene with a GameObject myGameObject which uses DateTimes and TimeSpan for a timer to execute a method once the TimeSpan reaches zero.

I would like the player to be able to move to a different scene where myGameObject isn’t present on the screen, however still have the timer count down and the method executed as time passes.

Using Application.LoadLevel to move the player to a new level/scene destroys all current GameObjects and my countdown method is interrupted.

DontDestroyOnLoad() doesn’t seem helpful as the new scene should not have myGameObject present.

Will I have to redesign my game to not require LoadLevel to load new levels, and instead create my own level loading script that operates in a single scene?

Is there a way to continuously keep track of time and execute the method even after Application.LoadLevel has been called?

DontDestroyOnLoad : "Makes the object target not be destroyed automatically when loading a new scene. "
That’s what you want right? If that doesn’t work for you, or it’s too complicated. (it does add complexity to your scenes) Then sounds like a good use case for PlayerPrefs! Just drop this component into some gameobject in every scene you want to try the time in. Hope this helps

using UnityEngine;
using System;

public class TimeTracker : MonoBehaviour 
{
 public DateTime LastTime { get; set; }

public static string PrefsKey = "last time";

public void Awake()
 {
 if(PlayerPrefs.HasKey(PrefsKey))
 {
 var ticks = long.Parse( PlayerPrefs.GetString( PrefsKey ) ); 
 LastTime = new DateTime( ticks );