License and Copyright consequences

This question is not whether of Unity but is related to programming, then all those who do games will probably have the answer to this question.

OK, I'm making a game like guitar hero but I just found out that guitar hero has been losing so much money because they did the songs claim for copyright, then I have 2 questions I need recommendations, information and solutions.

1.- I plan to put my game on the web for all to play but my question is that if I can run into such problems of having to pay to put songs from groups (I need information and then if I have to pay how could I solve this and recommendations)

2.- In my game I imported models of web sites that you need a license then my question is if I can be affected of anything for this type of game that I plan to put on the web and how it can be solve.

You're best bet is to stay away from using other peoples work, especially as an indie developer. If you get song files and put them up on the Internet and especially charge for it without permission you can be sued.

However, the company that owns the songs can choose to ignore it if it's not worth they're time, or if you are really lucky you can get them to pay you for prompting their songs.

But if I were you I would stay out of it. IF YOU USE THEIR MATERIAL THEY CAN AND WILL SUE YOU AND THEY WILL WIN. so don't unless you can get permission, which is unlikely. Sorry.

Simple answer, if you use copyrighted material, you must pay a license.

As regard to songs, that generally means licensing them directly from the owners/publishers. However that simply gives you the license to include the music in the game or to distribute, in all likelyhood you would also need to pay royalties for 'performance' (e.g. playback) of the song. This is rather complex as a number of companies exist to deal with licensing/royalties.

As for models and other assets, again you'll need to buy a license to use them in your game, unless they are released for free/creative commons.

In either case, just because you are releasing a webgame, or aren't charging for it means nothing, you still have to get the licenses, else you will at best be shut down at worst sued.

There is a possible workaround for the music, that is to simply not include any songs. Instead you would provide the data file for a file (i.e the note chart) and let end users access their song library. Of course there are issues such as many different versions of a single song in a verity of formats, from official releases to cd rips or pirated, which might require multiple note chart data files to support.