List Emptying Itself?

I’m currently making an inventory system and I’ve ran into a problem with a GameObject list which I’ve used to keep track of my items. I’m receiving the error message “ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range. Parameter name: index” when I call my method DropItem() from an OnClick() event from a button. This happens despite having called another method called PickUpItem() which adds a GameObject to my list. I’ve tried troubleshooting and had my List’s count printed out to console when calling these methods. 1 is printed in the console when the PickUpItem() method is called (as expected), however when I call the DropItem() method 0 is printed to console and I receive the the error mentioned above.

The methods mentioned above (and another one being called in PickUpItem()):

public void DropItem(InventoryItem itemToDrop) {
        print(inventory.Count);
        if (inventory[itemToDrop.GetIndex()] != null) {
            Instantiate(inventory[itemToDrop.GetIndex()], transform.position, transform.rotation);
            Destroy(itemToDrop.gameObject);
            inventory.Remove(inventory[itemToDrop.GetIndex()]);
        }
        else {
            Debug.LogError("Inventory(" + this.GetInstanceID() + ") does not contain and cannot drop " + itemToDrop.name + ".");
        }      
    }

public void PickUpItem(Item itemToPickUp) {
        if (isPlayer && !isOpen) {
            inventory.Add(itemToPickUp.gameObject);
            Destroy(itemToPickUp.gameObject);
            UpdateContents(itemToPickUp);
            print(inventory.Count);            
        }
    }

void UpdateContents(Item newItem) {
        GameObject newInventoryItem = Instantiate(inventoryItemPrefab);

newInventoryItem.transform.SetParent(inventoryItemsPanel.transform, false);
        newInventoryItem.GetComponent<InventoryItem>().SetIndex(inventory.IndexOf(newItem.gameObject));
        newInventoryItem.name = newItem.itemName;

foreach(Transform child in newInventoryItem.transform) {
            if (child.GetComponent<Text>() && child.name == "Name") {
                child.GetComponent<Text>().text = newItem.itemName;
            }
            else if (child.GetComponent<Text>() && child.name == "Type") {
                //child.GetComponent<Text>().text = newItem.type; Item class currently has no "type" variable
            }
            else if (child.GetComponent<Text>() && child.name == "Value") {
                child.GetComponent<Text>().text = newItem.value.ToString();
            }
        }
    }

You’re adding the item object to the List and then destroying it. It prints 1 in the console because unity delays the destruction of objects until the end of the frame. You have to store something different on the inventory, like only the type of the power or maybe a more complex struct if you need more Info. So, when you pickup the item you store a new instance of some data struct and destroy the object, and when dropping it you remove the data and instantiate a new item.