Hi, I am trying to make my own textures.
I can take/find/make a picture put it on my model get it into unity, and that is no problem at all.
My problem is: How to make a real nice texture? How do I create/design the texture to look great?
I am looking for a book, tutorials anything that explains how to MAKE proffesional textures.
Anyone who can link/tell me how to do so?
Yours JWolf’s animator friend
There are a million tutorials on how to create textures. Just use google. Must haves: Photoshop skills & artistic skills. If you suck at drawing or photoshop you won’t make great textures :). If that is the case: Find someone who can make amazing textures and team up
My 2 cents:
- Pick one graphical style as a target and stick to it. Don’t change your style because you found a cool new photoshop filter. Else you will never be done
- For something like a ground texture: Find a nice photo from CGtextures.com. Take the part you need and remove the rest. For example some stones. Now manipulate that photo OR draw over the photo.
- Use the offset filter in photoshop to make the texture tileable.
- Apply the texture to the ground UV unwrap (if applicable).
- Paint decals/details to make every piece of the texture a bit different.
This way you can make a simple tile-able texture look good on, for example, a ground mesh/plane.