Making a 3d hex map, a little confused

hello, I am trying to make a hex globe much like hexplanet but instead in unity. I had some ideas for implementation but none of them so far seemed viable.

My first idea was to make a sphere and inscribe an icosphere model from blender inside of it. I could not make a mesh collision as large as needed for the globe and still it would not scale properly to work.

How would you implement adding nodes to a 3d sphere to simulate a hex map? Or how would you make a hex map in unity?

Thanks

The hexplanet screenshot does look cool.

The author has posted source code and a whitepaper. Have you looked at them?

Someone described it as follows: "They use an icosahedron (a 12 sided die) and subdivide several times to create a sphere, made up of hexagons and 12 pentagons. The algorithm is quite simple, and you can do it in a couple of hours."

If you can understand what he did well enough to pick through the code, then you could pull the parts you need into Unity. Then you could generate a mesh dynamically using the vertices/faces that his algorithm generates.

Alternatively, you can try to get someone else to do it for you, or maybe someone will build a hexplanet extension for Blender, using Blender's Python API. I did a quick search, it does not appear that anyone has done a blender add-on yet. I did find one person in the Unity forums talking about maybe using hexplanet in their Unity game, but it's very possible that it was you. :-)

If you want a sphere covered by a hex map, technically, that won't work, as true hex maps won't wrap a sphere. You'd need to put in some pentagons (or quads) to make it bend around. For this, I recommend waiting a couple days an look for my new 'Polyhedron' art pack, coming to an Asset Store near you, I got a bunch of that stuff in there.

If you mean just a very large hex map, perhaps that wraps around at the edges, that's something else entirely. I'd go with something like a 2D square tile map (look around this forum for such questions), but use 6 rather than 4 possible directions to move to.