MegaCity Feedback & Discussion

Hello everyone,

We are super excited to have the MegaCity project available for everyone to download. Please use this thread to post any feedback, issues, or any other relevant discussions around the MegaCity project.

If you haven't seen or heard of MegaCity, you can head over to https://unity.com/megacity and read more as well as download the entire project.

You can also watch our GDC 2019 Keynote presentation about MegaCity here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcX-O7fRic

Have fun!

11 Likes

Hiya,

I'm wondering what the recommendation would be for a terrain, using these techniques? I have thousands of terrain features such as trees, buildings, walls, rocks, towns even, but mostly a hell of a lot of trees and rocks.

(I decided to make grass it's own thing as it seems a waste of resources for something do fine grained as grass).

Any advice is welcome regarding open world context! thank you.

4 Likes

Opening Unity Megacity you need:

• 44 Gb of free space (better SSD, do not use HDD)
  • Download file 7Gb,
  • + 22Gb for the unzipped project version
  • + other ~~20 GB~~ 14Gb? if you what to make the build
  • Unity 2019.1 and
  • For Windows users, IL2CPP component instaled (this component can be added using the hub).

This demo fit better for my needs. I'm using
Windows 10 64bit | i7-2600K | GTX 1080 Ti | 14Gb ram | HDD | 4K TV as a monitor
Takes 20 min or more to open. (HDD) and use 11Gb of ram
8min to make the build. (I make the build in a second SSD)
but in my case, the build gives me errors.

When I hit play in the editor I get an error but use the WASD or arrows key and Enter to start the demo that runs at ~20fps(quality settings = medium). Not bad; in editor mode is usable. I feel I can work in it. Is super awesome.

Hold on... it takes 1 or two minutes to compile if you move a nested prefab. Is there a workaround?

4 Likes

Is the code posted somewhere other than as part of a 7GB download?

1 Like

I must admit that I was expecting a better performance out of this. On my 1080 TI I can get only 30fps, loosing most of a time on CPU. It also seems impossible to load all objects from a start - everything works as progressive load. (and this isn't a good thing for game or cutscene). First load should follow some hierarchical rules - for any real usage, big buildings should be loaded from a start without progressive load. Afterwards, details can be loaded progressively.
-Once it does load, I get too many collisions between main car and other cars or objects.
-I get a heavy noise from volumetric lights. But really nasty.
-post processing effects are exagerated.
-Alliasing is all over the place (but that is understandable with such detailed small objects)

2 Likes

What cpu are you using?

Do you have burst enabled?

[quote=“AlanMattano”, post:3, topic: 736246]
Hold on… it takes 1 or two minutes to compile if you move a nested prefab. Is there a workaround?
[/quote]

I got the same thing and was wondering if I was doing something wrong in terms of workflow. Opened one of the buildings, moved a wall section, and it immediately paused for a few seconds to update the prefab.

Performance in the editor wasn’t that bad for the amount of things going on, but in a standalone build it felt very decent. Didn’t check the framerate but felt smooth on a 970 at 1080p with medium settings except for LOD bias pushed up to 2.5.

I initially thought the volumetrics were splotchier than they actually are, until I realised it was a noise texture on the density volumes. Got rid of that to just try and look at noise and the volumetric light effects on the spotlights are still very low quality, to the point that they would look much better with old fashioned faked light cones. The overall image quality seems hard to get right, none of the AA solutions really worked well with the environment as it is.

The sheer amount of detail is impressive, especially after turning up the LOD bias. I assumed the cars were all just following pre-defined routes and was pleasantly surprised when I realised they actually reacted to me to avoid collisions!

Load times for a built version of the project are impressive.

[quote=“Adam-Bailey”, post:8, topic: 736246]
I got the same thing and was wondering if I was doing something wrong in terms of workflow. Opened one of the buildings, moved a wall section, and it immediately paused for a few seconds to update the prefab.

Performance in the editor wasn’t that bad for the amount of things going on, but in a standalone build it felt very decent. Didn’t check the framerate but felt smooth on a 970 at 1080p with medium settings except for LOD bias pushed up to 2.5.

I initially thought the volumetrics were splotchier than they actually are, until I realised it was a noise texture on the density volumes. Got rid of that to just try and look at noise and the volumetric light effects on the spotlights are still very low quality, to the point that they would look much better with old fashioned faked light cones. The overall image quality seems hard to get right, none of the AA solutions really worked well with the environment as it is.

The sheer amount of detail is impressive, especially after turning up the LOD bias. I assumed the cars were all just following pre-defined routes and was pleasantly surprised when I realised they actually reacted to me to avoid collisions!

Load times for a built version of the project are impressive.
[/quote]
Uncheck autosave checkbox in prefab workflow

2 Likes

[quote=“olix4242”, post:5, topic: 736246]
-Alliasing is all over the place (but that is understandable with such detailed small objects)
[/quote]
This is because the demo defaults the antialiasing off in the player camera. I suspect they did this as current HDRP TAA doesn’t work properly in MegaCity at all. Other AA options work however, you can use SMAA or FXAA just fine and it’ll reduce the jaggies.

If you open Assets/Prefabs/Scene/000_Scene.prefab, it has the PlayerCam object and you swap the AA option from it.

1 Like

Google Drive link doesn't work now. Does anyone have other links to download the MegaCity? Maybe just exe?

I wonder why they did not put it on Github, like the last huge demo the made?

There are already so many changes in the newest beta that there are compiler errors.

If it would have been on Github, i am sure somebody would have fixed it already.

1 Like

[quote=“smcclelland”, post:1, topic: 736246]
Hello everyone,

We are super excited to have the MegaCity project available for everyone to download.
…
Have fun!
[/quote]

Thanks so much. Runs ok here using

• %71.6 CPU (i5 6100)
  • 5.6 GB of 16 GB RAM
  • %60 of GPU NVIDIA GeForge GTX 1080

Took some time to figure out that SHIFT and not enter accelerates. Soon I’ll dive into how audio works within ECS.

2 Likes

Final build is ~4.6 GB, I looked around it and noticed that it also has EntityCache folder which contains 189 files and it takes 1.5GB total in addition to 2.8GB sharedassets file which holds the meshes and textures. This brings up a question what does the EntityCache really contain? Are these for the subscenes, and if so, what kind of data is packed in them? 1.5GB is bit more than what I'd expect from scene descriptions.

[quote=“AlanMattano”, post:3, topic: 736246]
Opening Unity Megacity you need:

• 30 Gb of free space (better SSD, do not use HDD)
  • Download file 7GB,
    • 22GB for the unzipped project version
    • other 20 GB if you what to make the build
  • Unity 2019.1 and
  • For Windows users, IL2CPP component instaled (this component can be added using the hub).
    [/quote]
  1. it’s 17.6GB unpacked
  2. you get 8.3GB on library cache, 4.6GB on final build + 0.5GB on IL2CPP generated files
1 Like

[quote=“recursive”, post:7, topic: 736246]
Do you have burst enabled?
[/quote]

It was enabled by default on the top menu bar: Jobs > Burst > Enable Compilation.

[quote=“AlanMattano”, post:16, topic: 736246]
Sorry I ask it here but how do I check if it is enabled?
or how do I turn it enable?
[/quote]

2 Likes

Can't download. Google drive quota limit.

Yep, you've reached your Google Drive quota on the Megacity demo download. Is there an alternative mirror?

Hi everyone, we're working on addressing this. Will keep you posted once I've got an update.

4 Likes