Monodevelop error message when opening

Im on a mac book pro and every time i try to script anything this error message comes up on the screen saying,

     MonoDevelop-Unity failed to start. The following error has been reported: Unrecognized image file format

GLib.GException: Unrecognized image file format
at Gdk.PixbufLoader.Close () [0x00000] in :0
at Gdk.PixbufLoader.InitFromAssemblyResource (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.String resource) [0x00000]

I’ve tried uninstalling unity several times and the same message keeps coming back.

I have the exact same issue in osx 10.9.1

GLib.GException: Unrecognized image file format
  at Gdk.PixbufLoader.Close () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Gdk.PixbufLoader.InitFromAssemblyResource (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.String resource) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Gdk.PixbufLoader..ctor (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.String resource) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Gdk.Pixbuf..ctor (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.String resource) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Gdk.Pixbuf.LoadFromResource (System.String resource) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MonoDevelop.Components.MainToolbar.ButtonBar..ctor () [0x00043] in /BuildAgent/work/9ffd76bfa3f1a926/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Components.MainToolbar/ButtonBar.cs:60 
  at MonoDevelop.Components.MainToolbar.MainToolbar..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MonoDevelop.MacIntegration.MacPlatformService.CreateMainToolbar (Gtk.Window window) [0x00040] in /BuildAgent/work/9ffd76bfa3f1a926/monodevelop/main/src/addins/MacPlatform/MacPlatform.cs:601 
  at MonoDevelop.Ide.DesktopService.CreateMainToolbar (Gtk.Window window) [0x00000] in /BuildAgent/work/9ffd76bfa3f1a926/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide/DesktopService.cs:230 
  at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.DefaultWorkbench.CreateComponents () [0x00025] in /BuildAgent/work/9ffd76bfa3f1a926/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui/DefaultWorkbench.cs:811 
  at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.DefaultWorkbench.InitializeLayout () [0x00064] in /BuildAgent/work/9ffd76bfa3f1a926/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui/DefaultWorkbench.cs:796 
  at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.Workbench.Initialize (IProgressMonitor monitor) [0x0008a] in /BuildAgent/work/9ffd76bfa3f1a926/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui/Workbench.cs:96 
  at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeApp.Initialize (IProgressMonitor monitor) [0x00155] in /BuildAgent/work/9ffd76bfa3f1a926/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide/Ide.cs:208 
  at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Run (MonoDevelop.Ide.MonoDevelopOptions options) [0x00587] in /BuildAgent/work/9ffd76bfa3f1a926/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide/IdeStartup.cs:247 

What I did to keep working was get monodevelop directly from the source: http://monodevelop.com/ , not the unity branded version. The free version of xamarin studio that they link to in the downloads page was fine for my purposes. I do hope that they fix this. It looks bad when a piece of software this expensive doesn’t turn on.