Mouse Action on a GameObject member of a class

Hello there !

I’m new to Unity, and i am trying to find a way to make my item react to a mouse action.
I saw in the doc that it was possible to do that, but i can’t figure out how it works…

Here is an example :

public class Territory
{		
    		private GameObject GOTerritory;

public bool MouseOverTerritory()
		{
			if(GOTerritory.collider. ??????????? ) // i think that i have to call something on the collider, but not sure
			{
				GOTerritory.renderer.material = GameObject.Find("MFSelected").renderer.material;
				return true;
			}
			else				
			{
				GOTerritory.renderer.material = GameObject.Find("MFNotSelected").renderer.material;
				return false;
			}
		}
}

Here i try to change the material of my GameObject GOTerritory if my mouse is over it.

Am i looking in the good direction, or am i totally wrong about the way i should do it ?

PS : i don’t assign this script to any gameobject. It is just a class that i use and i don’t want it assignated to any gameobject. I just want to have my GameObjects as members of the class.

Thanks for your time, have a great day.

Ok i figured out how it works. Just in case, i will put my code, if someone have the same question.

public bool MouseOverTerritory()
		{
			Ray ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition);
			RaycastHit hit = new RaycastHit();

if(GOTerritory.collider.Raycast(ray,out hit,100))
			{
				GOTerritory.renderer.material = GameObject.Find("MFSelected").renderer.material;
				return true;
			}
			else
			{
				GOTerritory.renderer.material = GameObject.Find("MFNotSelected").renderer.material;
				return false;				
			}
		}

does the GOTerritory have its own script ?

if so what u can do is in the GOTerritory script u can make a bool IsMouseOver and then use monobehaviour’s OnMouseEnter and OnMouseExit to turn it off and on.

after that in your territory script u can do

GOTerritory.transform.getComponent<GOTerritory>().isMouseOver

Try playing with the example provided by Unity. Just make a new script and just run what they have and see the relationship. Unity - Scripting API: MonoBehaviour.OnMouseOver()