Muse Behavior Sub-Graph Sometimes Doesn't Update

I’m not fully sure how to replicate the issue, but I’ve had it on two separate days where I have modified a subgraph and upon playing again the subgraph has acted as if there were no changes. Reloading the project, restarting pc, re-importing either graph, refreshing, and using custom editor code to set them as dirty didn’t fix it. Only removing the graph from the subgraph and re-adding it fixed it. I thought it was going to be an ongoing issue for me since it was so prevalent yesterday but today it is seeing the changes normally. I unfortunately don’t have any screenshots since I can’t replicate it with attempts to do so today but I was getting this error yesterday any time I hit ctrl + s while in the graph:

The following asset(s) located in immutable packages were unexpectedly altered. Making changes to immutable packages isn’t recommended because the changes can be lost without any warning during Package Manager operations. Packages/com.unity.dt.app-ui/PackageResources/Fonts/Inter-Regular SDF.asset

I think it may have started after removing some assets I was currently not using, but I’m unsure. I will be sure to provide more information if it occurs again, but if someone else runs into it be sure to re-assign the subgraph to fix your issue

Muse version 0.5.7
Unity 2023.2.3f1

Thank you for reporting this! Please do give us more information if you find a way to reproduce it. We’ll also do some testing :slight_smile:

I’m sorry it happened!

So today I’m having a slightly different take on the same issue. After adding an asset, Animancer Lite, to check it out; instead of not seeing changes in the subgraph it just doesn’t start the subgraph. There was a warning where it said it could not find the graph with the id. Unassigning and re-assigning the graph fixed it for play but after stopping it had the same issue. Unassigning, closing unity, opening, and re-assign has fixed it.

I thought maybe upon removing this asset it would have the same problem as the other day since this is similar, but no luck. Re-importing Animancer lite did not replicate the issue it just caused either.

Re-importing an asset removed the other day, Toon Effects Maker URP - Anime & Cartoon FX by ARTnGAME, just created the same issue of the sub graph not running at all. Re-assigning fixed it without the need to restart unity. No issue on removal of this asset.

Exact same case with Breeze - Advanced Character Behaviour by Breeze Assets, only it caused the issue on import and deletion.

DestroyIt - Destruction System by ModelShark Studio and Performance Tools by New Game Studio, the only other two assets I removed that day, had no impact, but the ones I removed I had replaced previously the obsolete lines of code with the required new lines so that may have been a factor.

So I was unable to replicate the exact issue, but this one is very similar. Seems like it may just sometimes happen upon compile after an asset addition or removal. Granted this was done in the same project as before to see if it would cause the issue since it had happened on two separate days already and not a fresh project.

This project has had it’s version of unity updated a few times so it may never happen again if I start a fresh project and re-download from the source control.

Hi @barretkeyes ,

Thanks for the follow up! Can you give an example (screenshots) of the main graph and subgraph you’re running, or a simplified version of them so we can try to reproduce more accurately? I’m really not sure what’s happening here but we’re aware and we’re trying to figure it out!

Sure thing! Part of the main graph here. Essentially it boils down to running a base action, flips a coin to see if it will do one of two action types on repeat (out of frame in this snippet) and when it receives the shot event it runs the enemyai subgraph. That was the one that kept not registering changes and sometimes wouldn’t play.

The enemyai graph patrols until it sees the player. Upon seeing the player it starts the left hand side. It chases and attacks until it loses sight of the player.

I did do a fresh download of the project as well and there was quite a discrepancy between the sizes of the two so it may very well be likely just some old files were messing up the project. I’ve downloaded an asset or two again since re-downloading and it hasn’t broken at all yet

I would love any info on behavior trees if you could share your process on how you got your behavior tree going.

I found the tutorial video that Unity has up on youtube super helpful. It’s still linked from the example project on the asset store here:

My takeaway from it was having a couple of nodes at the start for variable setup, utilizing a helper script(s) on the agent that I access with calls from the graph, and using the Run In Parallel Until Any Success to get out of any branches when another condition is met. I create a lot of custom nodes so it’s great that it’s super easy to do so. I can’t think of anything else since I was called to another project this last month, but if you have any other questions I will try my best to answer!

Your response is super helpful. I am however running into a few issues myself. I have helper classes that I am trying to use but for some reason, they are succeeding when they should not. I suspect my setup is incorrect.

If you change line 40 to return Status.Running; and add return Status.Success; into the if statement above that it should run the way you intended. That way it’ll mark off the node when the player is heard but otherwise keep checking. Alternatively you can have it do Status.Failure on line 40 and it’ll immediately stop and restart that whole branch under the Repeat Until Success.

That did it. Thanks a bunch! I will try to learn more and drop some questions should I get stuck. I doubt this is the right thread to add questions. Perhaps a new thread for others trying to get into Muse Behaviour? The lack of information makes it super difficult to start exploring Muse Behaviour.

No problem. Happy to help! If you get stuck again and need help you can make a new thread for sure. I’m not sure if @'ing me in another thread I’m not already in will send me a notification so feel free to message me when it’s created.

Hey,

I tried to tag you on a different thread but no luck. I will add the new thread here. I have already posted a question there

I believe the issue with the graphs not updating may occur if you delete the runtime assets for a subgraph. I had a warning to regenerate a graph after modifying the elements of an enum that was in a Switch for a graph. To try to force a refresh for I deleted the runtime assets with the button it has in the inspector and re-opened it to generate them again. During play it was then ignoring new changes made to the graph and instead of showing the correct number of objects in the debug list, it showed double the amount with two for each object. I know I did this a few times when having the issue previously.

I tried to replicate this today in both a new project and the old project and had no luck in re-creating it doing this. Still moved the old project to the fresh one to just in case.

So the previous assumption doesn’t seem to make a repro? :frowning:

Yes, it seems I was mistaken. I had it twice the previous day in that fashion so I thought I had figured it out, but wanted to see if I could reproduce it today in a fresh project and when that failed I checked the project I’ve been working on. Neither had the issue happen this time around.

Hi @barretkeyes , we’ve updated a new version and did some changes to serialisation, can you let me know if this issue still happens?

So far so good. It was quite rare before but if it does happen again I’ll be sure to post! The last few days have been problem free so far on the graphs. I do have to work on another project for a couple weeks so it might be a bit before I can check more. I meant to comment right after the update that I did start getting this error on occasion which potentially explains the previous issue?

UnityException: ScriptableObject.ctor is not allowed to be called during serialization, call it from OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject ‘BehaviorGraph’.
See “Script Serialization” page in the Unity Manual for further details.

Which happens during the occasional time I’ve forgotten that the project has been left paused on play while I fix code and then build solution in Visual Studio.

Hey @barretkeyes , I’m glad things are going well!

To confirm: You’re in play mode, pausing the game, editing code, causing domain reload and that causes the error? Can you add full stack so we can see the specific code lines?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Yes, after modifying code and Unity does the domain reload is when the error appears. Looks like it is the line

Graph.Serialization.PolymorphicJSONConverter`1[T].ReadJson (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, T existingValue, System.Boolean hasExistingValue, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer serializer) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.muse.behavior@0.5.10/Serialization/PolymorphicJSONConverter.cs:104)

Here is the error message until it repeats in the editor log. The error message gets a stack of 14 for me. Potentially 1 for each subgraph but I can only seem to count 12 subgraphs. I get the error in my current downgraded version of the project 2022.3.17 and the older version of 2023.2.3.

UnityException: ScriptableObject.ctor is not allowed to be called during serialization, call it from OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'BehaviorGraph'.
See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.ScriptableObject.CreateScriptableObject(UnityEngine.ScriptableObject)
  at UnityEngine.ScriptableObject..ctor () [0x00008] in <f7237cf7abef49bfbb552d7eb076e422>:0 
  at Unity.Muse.Behavior.EventChannelBase..ctor () [0x00000] in <ccc408e1570d40bebca0239cffebd9d0>:0 
  at PlayerInCombat..ctor () [0x00000] in <bbd2ddedcd824f3488d3d074fba9b2c3>:0 
  at (wrapper dynamic-method) System.Object.lambda_method(System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Closure)
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateNewObject (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonObjectContract objectContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerMember, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerProperty, System.String id, System.Boolean& createdFromNonDefaultCreator) [0x0006d] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateObject (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerMember, System.Object existingValue) [0x00148] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateValueInternal (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerMember, System.Object existingValue) [0x0006d] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.SetPropertyValue (Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty property, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConverter propertyConverter, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerProperty, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Object target) [0x00065] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateObject (System.Object newObject, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonObjectContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, System.String id) [0x00280] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Populate (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Object target) [0x00136] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerProxy.PopulateInternal (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Object target) [0x00008] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.Populate (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Object target) [0x00000] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Graph.Serialization.PolymorphicJSONConverter`1[T].ReadJson (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, T existingValue, System.Boolean hasExistingValue, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer serializer) [0x0012f] in .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.muse.behavior@0.5.10\Serialization\PolymorphicJSONConverter.cs:104 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConverter`1[T].ReadJson (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, System.Object existingValue, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer serializer) [0x0002f] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.DeserializeConvertable (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConverter converter, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, System.Object existingValue) [0x00055] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.SetPropertyValue (Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty property, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConverter propertyConverter, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerProperty, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Object target) [0x00052] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateObject (System.Object newObject, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonObjectContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, System.String id) [0x00280] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Populate (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Object target) [0x00136] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerProxy.PopulateInternal (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Object target) [0x00008] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.Populate (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Object target) [0x00000] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Graph.Serialization.PolymorphicJSONConverter`1[T].ReadJson (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, T existingValue, System.Boolean hasExistingValue, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer serializer) [0x0012f] in .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.muse.behavior@0.5.10\Serialization\PolymorphicJSONConverter.cs:104 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConverter`1[T].ReadJson (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, System.Object existingValue, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer serializer) [0x0002f] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.DeserializeConvertable (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConverter converter, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, System.Object existingValue) [0x00055] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.SetPropertyValue (Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty property, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConverter propertyConverter, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerProperty, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Object target) [0x00052] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateList (System.Collections.IList list, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonArrayContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerProperty, System.String id) [0x00173] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateList (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, System.Object existingValue, System.String id) [0x001c6] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateValueInternal (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerMember, System.Object existingValue) [0x0007f] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.SetPropertyValue (Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty property, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConverter propertyConverter, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerProperty, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Object target) [0x00065] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateList (System.Collections.IList list, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonArrayContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerProperty, System.String id) [0x00173] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateList (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, System.Object existingValue, System.String id) [0x001c6] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateValueInternal (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerMember, System.Object existingValue) [0x0007f] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateObject (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerMember, System.Object existingValue) [0x00161] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateValueInternal (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContract contract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty member, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContainerContract containerContract, Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonProperty containerMember, System.Object existingValue) [0x0006d] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.PopulateInternal (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Object target) [0x00051] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.PopulateObject (System.String value, System.Object target, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializerSettings settings) [0x00013] in <761cf2a144514d2291a678c334d49e9b>:0 
  at Unity.Muse.Behavior.BehaviorGraphSerializationUtility.PopulateRuntimeGraph (System.String graphJson, Unity.Muse.Behavior.BehaviorGraph graph) [0x00000] in .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.muse.behavior@0.5.10\Runtime\Serialization\BehaviorGraphSerializationUtility.cs:51 
  at Unity.Muse.Behavior.BehaviorGraph.UnityEngine.ISerializationCallbackReceiver.OnAfterDeserialize () [0x00019] in .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.muse.behavior@0.5.10\Runtime\Execution\BehaviorGraph.cs:111 

(Filename: ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.muse.behavior@0.5.10/Serialization/PolymorphicJSONConverter.cs Line: 104)