Mystery performance loss on ios

I swear my app was running at 60fps. I made a few shader tweaks, undid those changes… them BAMB! slows to a crawl.

I look at the internal profiler numbers… and from what I understand, it should go at 60fps. No time lost in scripts or physics, the usual culprits.

iPhone Unity internal profiler stats:

cpu-player> min: 18.4 max: 26.5 avg: 21.0

cpu-ogles-drv> min: 0.5 max: 1.6 avg: 0.7

cpu-waits-gpu> min: 0.2 max: 0.5 avg: 0.3

msaa-resolve> min: 0.0 max: 0.0 avg: 0.0

cpu-present> min: 0.3 max: 2.4 avg: 0.6

frametime> min: 22.2 max: 30.6 avg: 24.3

draw-call #> min: 7 max: 7 avg: 7 | batched: 69

tris #> min: 1216 max: 1216 avg: 1216 | batched: 2014

verts #> min: 1704 max: 1704 avg: 1704 | batched: 1356

player-detail> physx: 0.2 animation: 0.0 culling 0.0 skinning: 0.1 batching: 0.3 render: 3.0 fixed-update-count: 1 … 2

mono-scripts> update: 0.3 fixedUpdate: 0.0 coroutines: 0.0

mono-memory> used heap: 720896 allocated heap: 860160 max number of collections: 0 collection total duration: 0.0

The inteteresting thing is that his happened to me once before. I had simplified the scene down to a bare minium, trying to see what was causing it to go slow, and I was down to a simple cube and it was still slow. The only way I had managed to bring it back up was to start a new scene from scratch.

Can anyone provide a hint to where I should look at next?

Thanks!

I’m going to answer my own question.

Further testing does confirm that this is a unity bug (or an xcode bug, who knows)

Instead of doing an incremental export (whatever happens when you chose “build and run” without modifiying the settings), if you pick a different location for the project and create a new xcode project during the export, this problem goes away.

I’m going to answer my own question, for the benefit of others.

Further testing does confirm that this is a unity bug (or an xcode bug, who knows)

Instead of doing an incremental export (whatever happens when you chose “build and run” without modifiying the settings), if you pick a different location for the project and create a new xcode project during the export, this problem goes away.