naming days of the week, how to iterate through strings?

Hey im new in C# i asume its easy but anw
im trying to build simple clock as stydying program for myself
So far ive made seconds:minutes:hours:days: and so on each loop trigers another with if statements its all works perfect untill i got to naming months and days of the week.
I have no clue how to loop thru strings and how trigger the change in already existing system.
tnx in advance :slight_smile:
example of the existing loop:

if (second >= 60) 
		{
			minute ++;
			second = 0;
			TextCallFunction ();
		} else if (minute >= 60) 
		{
			hour ++;
			minute = 0;
			TextCallFunction ();
		} else if (hour >= 24) 
		{
			day ++;
			hour = 0;
			ChangeDay ();
			TextCallFunction ();
		}  else if (day >= 28) 
		{
			TextCallFunction ();
		} else if (month >= 12) 
		{
			year ++;
			month = 1;
			TextCallFunction ();
		}

Unless you are doing this as an exercise (which you said you are), in C# use System.DateTime which handles all the nuances of dates and times (although the API is a bit clumsy).

To cycle through strings you usually have an array (or even better, List) of your strings and store an index into it, but display your value. For example:

private string[] namesOfMonths = { "January", "February", "March", "etc.", "I'm too lazy to type it all out" };
private int monthIndex = 0; // you increase this value at the end of month; watch out, January is the 0th month in the array!

void TextCallFunction () {
    // ...
    string nameOfMonth = namesOfMonths[monthIndex]; // make sure monthIndex never reaches 12!
    // display the name of the month
    // ...
}

Btw, watch out that not all months are the same length, and some years are leap years… you have to handle all of these if you want a perfectly working clock.

Thanks alot man! works like a charm.
Didnt think about adding another int to do the counting.

private string[] dayType = 	{ "Sunday",	"Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday" };
	private int dayTypeIndex = 0;
	private string dayTypeS;

void ChangeDay ()
	{
		dayTypeS = dayType[dayTypeIndex];
		if (dayTypeIndex >= 7) 
		{
			dayTypeIndex = 0;
		}
	}

im not sure that “if” statement gonna work tho…