Need help with my movement script.. :(

Currently, my movement script uses only these few lines of code for the horizontal movement in the Update method:

movement = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");
        if (sprinting)
        {
            rb.velocity = new Vector2(movement * sprintSpeed, rb.velocity.y);
        }
        else
        {
            rb.velocity = new Vector2(movement * speed, rb.velocity.y);
        }

It works just how I wanted it thus far. However, now I have implemented horizontal boost pads. They worked fine vertically since I don’t set the rb.velocity.y each frame.

However, this script does not allow my player to be boosted on the x-axis, since I set the rb.velocity.x each frame. Recursion makes this a real pain to deal with… I’ve been trying to find a solution for the past 2-3 hours, and have come to nothing really working.
Can someone help me with this? :frowning:

Depending on the effect that you are looking for I can think of a couple solutions.
_

1. You could multiply the movement * speed by another term… for purposes of example I will call it boost_Mult. Set this equal to 1 when you declare it so you get.

movement = Input.GetAxis(“Horizontal”);
    float boost_Mult = 1;
    if (sprinting)
    {
    rb.velocity = new Vector2(movement * sprintSpeed * boost_Mult, rb.velocity.y);
    }
    else
    {
    rb.velocity = new Vector2(movement * speed * boost_Mult, rb.velocity.y);
    }

2. You could use Vector2.lerp (or smoothdamp) for your velocities. This will give you a smoother transition from one speed to the next so you could write the following. Where “t” is reset to zero when you hit a booster and boostSpd is whatever speed you want the player to be at upon being boosted, also set when the player hits a booster.

movement = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");
     Vector2 noBoostSpd;
     Vector2 boostSpd;
     float spdDampRate = 2.0f;
    float t = 0;

if (t >= 1)
    {
         t = 1;
     }
    else
    {
          t += Time.deltaTime * spdDampRate ;