Need help with Vector3 Modifications on bouncing object

I’m making a Breakout clone, but the ball likes to travel only along the X or Y axis from time to time rendering the game endless. My solution is on five wall bounces, the ball should be pushed back down more with each consecutive wall bounce, and the paddle should be able to influence bouncing as well. I know next to nothing about changing vector3s though, so this is causing some issues. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Never really played breakout and I am kind of new to this but I have been working with Vector3’s and Vector2’s a lot recently. You can use something like

player.transform.position = new Vector3(x, y, z);

Change x, y, and z to be what you want. For example, if you want to increment the x value, you could do this:

player.transform.position = new Vector3(player.position.x * valueVariable, player.position.y, player.position.z);

You could also store the rigidbody of the player into a rigidbody variable and then do playerRigidbody.velocity = New Vector3(content).

Sorry for only providing so much info, again, I am pretty new to this. Anybody correct me if I am wrong, please.