No Eligible Device in Xcode Run Destination

Hello!

I am trying to get a simple project working on the VisionOS Simulator before porting one of our VR games to the platform.

So far I am completely blocked because I cannot choose the Simulator as a Run Destination in Xcode. It just says No Eligible Device connected.

Within the Unity Project I only installed the
com.unity.xr.visionos package, version 0.7.1
As stated by the package documentation for Fully Immersive VR applications.

I chose App Mode → Virtual Reality - Fully Immersive Space in the VisionOS Project settings.
Apple visionsOS is enabled in XR Plug-in Management for the visionOS platform.
I disabled the splash screen to fix the Project Validation Error.

VisionOS and iOS target platforms are installed for my Unity Version

Here is the environment:
Mac Studio - M2 Max
Mac OS 14.2.1 (23C71)
Unity 2022.3.16f1
Xcode 15.2 beta 1
VisionOS 1.0 Simulator beta 7 (21N305 shown when downloaded, 21N301 shows up in Xcode platforms)

I have a Unity Enterprise seat as well as a VisionOS beta seat.

Edited solution:

In Project Settings → Other Settings → Configuration
Target SDK must be set to Simulator SDK instead of Device SDK

Hi @Trebuchet_Boris

Just to clarify, it sounds like you sorted everything out? Or are there still some issues you need help resolving?

–Tim

Hi @timc-unity

I am up and running with the simulator, however my experience differs from what the documentation says!

Here it says

unlike iOS, there is no need to switch to a different SDK in Project Settings to run your content in the simulator.

Which is the complete opposite from my experience!

Figuring it out took me a lot of time as the documentation for visionOS development is scattered around between discussions, packages docs, and apple docs… And the only mention of that setting says it’s irrelevant.

If we can figure out why my environment needed that target SDK value and update the Getting Started docs accordingly, that could potentially save others some time!

You’re right on this one. We need to update that part of our documentation, as it changed between the 2022.3.9f1 Unity version that first supported visionOS, and the 2022.3.15f1 version that is now required by PolySpatial 0.7. As of Unity 2022.3.11 (I think? Maybe 10) you need to choose between the simulator and device SDK at build time.

Because package documentation is attached to the shipped package version, we can’t update the live docs until the next package update, probably in the new year. And unfortunately, anyone who could “emergency override” this kind of thing is already on vacation. Suffice it to say we’ll have this fixed ASAP. In the meantime I’m going to get a known issue added to the 0.7.1 release notes. And now that we have this post, hopefully Google will do its thing and direct anyone else here if they hit the same issue. :slight_smile:

Great!

Thank you for confirming that this setting is indeed required and that my setup is behaving as expected.

I’m sure keeping track of all that must be hard with the pace of things visionOS related lately,

Thank you for delivering usable Unity SDK wrappers, looking forward to develop on it!