no monobehaviour scripts in the file or their names do not match the file name.

Hi. Everytime I write a script this message shows in the top of the inspector while I have the script selected : no monobehaviour scripts in the file or their names do not match the file name.

163423-20200403100300530.png
This image is not mine but I have the same problem as the one in the image. And when I attach the script in the image it says :
163424-screen-shot-2018-09-02-at-233335.png

But instead of saying missing it says None (Mono Script)

The Asset file name and the class name do not match, so you are getting this error :slight_smile:

Make sure your class is named boxmove inside the C# file.

public class boxmove : MonoBehaviour
{
}

Also make sure to use a consistent naming convention for you classes. I can see some Upcase, lowercase, etc.

There are no set rule, but I use camel case as illustrated in the screenshot. So your boxmove class and asset file name would be BoxMove.

I’m having the same issue. I followed tutorials to the letter, and I cannot figure this out. Yes, the filename is exactly the same. This is still the untouched Unity-generated code when created.

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class PlayerController : MonoBehaviour
{
    // Start is called before the first frame update
    void Start()
    {

}

// Update is called once per frame
    void Update()
    {

}
}

Also, I did see this in the console messages:

PrecompiledAssemblyException: Multiple precompiled assemblies with the same name nunit.framework.dll included or the current platform. Only one assembly with the same name is allowed per platform. Assembly paths:
C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2018.4.30f1/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/TestRunner/net35/unity-custom/nunit.framework.dll
F:/Tutorial Work/Create with Code/Prototype 1/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ext.nunit@1.0.5/net35/unity-custom/nunit.framework.dll
UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules.ValidateAndGetNameToPrecompiledAssembly (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.PrecompiledAssembly precompiledAssemblies) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorBuildRules.cs:569)
UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules.ToScriptAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary2[TKey,TValue] targetAssemblies, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssemblySettings settings, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules+CompilationAssemblies assemblies, System.Collections.Generic.HashSet1[T] runUpdaterAssemblies) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorBuildRules.cs:581)
UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules.GetAllScriptAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1[T] allSourceFiles, System.String projectDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssemblySettings settings, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules+CompilationAssemblies assemblies, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules+TargetAssemblyType onlyIncludeType) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorBuildRules.cs:328) UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.GetAllScriptAssemblies (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorScriptCompilationOptions options, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssemblySettings settings, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.PrecompiledAssembly[] unityAssembliesArg, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.PrecompiledAssembly[] precompiledAssembliesArg) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:1538) UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.GetAllScriptAssemblies (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorScriptCompilationOptions options, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.PrecompiledAssembly[] unityAssembliesArg, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.PrecompiledAssembly[] precompiledAssembliesArg) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:1522) UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.GetAllScriptAssemblies (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorScriptCompilationOptions options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:1511) UnityEditor.VisualStudioIntegration.AssemblyNameProvider.GetAllScriptAssemblies (System.Func2[T,TResult] shouldFileBePartOfSolution, System.String projectDirectory) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/VisualStudioIntegration/SolutionSynchronizer.cs:46)
UnityEditor.VisualStudioIntegration.SolutionSynchronizer.GenerateAndWriteSolutionAndProjects (UnityEditorInternal.ScriptEditorUtility+ScriptEditor scriptEditor) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/VisualStudioIntegration/SolutionSynchronizer.cs:257)
UnityEditor.VisualStudioIntegration.SolutionSynchronizer.Sync () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/VisualStudioIntegration/SolutionSynchronizer.cs:247)
UnityEditor.SyncVS.SyncIfFirstFileOpenSinceDomainLoad () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SyncProject.cs:197)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)