On trigger enter not working, despite having tried everything

I am pretty new to unity, and I am trying to get the OnTriggerEnter method to work in my code.

The Debug.Log I have in my script never triggers, and neither does any of the other code. I have made sure the collider I am using is a trigger and has a kinematic Rigidbody applied. My code is using an empty object as a parent, and that parent is the one with the script that contains the OnTriggerEnter method. This parent is a prefab, and I instance it across the scene. A child of this parent is the collider who I have set to trigger. This object is a plane, but In order to prevent clipping issues, the collider for it is a box collider with a small amount of width. To prove that I am not doing anything explicitly wrong, here is a photo of the settings for a player.

and here is a photo of the settings for the trigger.

I have tried adding a Rigidbody to the player and it did not fix it. I am using the character controller to move, so physics are being applied. I also have my collision matrix checked. I asked this on stack overflow and nobody knew the answer to why it was not working.

Would anyone here know?

EDIT:

I have made some headway on this problem, it appears that any and all triggers no longer work in this project, regardless of placement. All a trigger does in my project(for some reason) is disable all collision. I am combing through my project settings to determine why this is the case.

SOLUTION FOUND:

This is a quick and dirty solution, but it gets the job done so Ill post it here. First, change the OnTriggerEnter and OnTriggerExit of the script attached to the parent object to any function name. Then, create a new script, attach to the trigger, and in that script create the OnTriggerEnter and exit functions. Then, call the functions in the parent’s script upon trigger enter and exit.

This table should help you figure out what’s wrong:

Trigger messages are sent upon collision when:

Static Collider Rigidbody Collider Kinematic Rigidbody Collider Static Trigger Collider Rigidbody Trigger Collider Kinematic Rigidbody Trigger Collider
Static Collider
Rigidbody Collider
Kinematic Rigidbody Collider
Static Trigger Collider
Rigidbody Trigger Collider
Kinematic Rigidbody Trigger Collider

Source:

Unity - Manual: Introduction to collision
Unity - Manual: Interaction between collider types

That table would show that my OnTriggerEnter should be working, as I have a Kinematic Rigidbody Collider colliding with a Kinematic Rigidbody trigger Collider.

What about your Layer Collision Matrix? You can find he settings in the Project Settings under Physics. Is everything maybe disabled?

Partial solution: Firstly, this solution only worked in a separate project. Trying the solution in the first project did not work, and I still have no idea why the first project was corrupted in some way. However, the solution I discovered was that in the script attached to the parent object, change the OnTrigger functions to any function name, and then create a second script attached to the trigger object that references the function in the parent object.