OnBecameVisible() not working as I'd hoped

Hey guys,

I need to know if a game object is visible on the screen. And I mean actually visible to the camera such that the player can see it, not behind a wall or whatever. I was hoping that OnBecameVisible() would do the trick for me.

But it turns out this message fires whenever the object enters the camera’s view frustum, irregardless of depth culling. I put the object three rooms away behind several environment walls, there is no way it is visible to the camera (and yes, I made sure the editor camera was not pointing at the object).

I even tried making it static (along with the environment) and trying to use occlusion, but it’s still firing that message inappropriately. I did turn off shadow casting/receiving on that object just in case, but that didn’t help.

Any suggestions? Is there any way to know if an object is depth culled? If I could use some combination of OnBecameVisible() along with some sort of IsDepthCulled flag, that would seemingly do the trick, but I suspect Unity has no idea, since depth culling is done on the GPU, so I may be out of luck there.

I realize I could use a line cast (object transform to camera tranform) to look for collisions, but I think I will have too many of these objects for that to realistically work (potentially thousands of them). So I’m out of ideas, do I have any other options?

The Renderer has an “IsVisible” flag → Renderer.isVisible, which might work well for you in this situation.

Link:
Unity Render.isVisible