I’ve been through every discussion that I can find in this forum and on the Web, and yet no solution that works to fix this inconsistent line endings issue on Mac Visual Studio Community 2019.
- No, on Mac VS there is no Savebutton dropdown where you can choose the encoding.
- There are no line-ending-fixer addons/plugin tools that are compatible with Mac VS.
- Choosing Save As with UTF-8 or any of the other formats does not seem to fix it.
- None of the preferences encoding options seem to fix it.
- Nor those in the project settings option (which just mirror the prefs)
I am looking for a solution for existing files.
Maybe there is some combination I am missing? Does anyone have a solution for Mac VS that is working for you?
This is very ridiculous issue indeed, I’ve spent way more time fixing it than I should have. Solution that worked for me (LF encoding):
In Visual Studio, go to Preferences → Text Editor → General and set Line ending conversion to Always Convert Line Endings
Then back to Preferences → Source Code → Code Formatting → C# source code (or some other file types if you work with them) and change Line ending property to Unix/Mac. These two should prevent Visual Studio to generate Windows line endings in your files.
About fixing the existing files, I couldn’t find any good way to do it in VS, but you can use other text editor/IDE to change line encoding. I’ve just formatted and saved all files with inconsistent line endings using VS Code.
I hope this helps!
Can’t find a way to fix it in Visual Studio Mac 8.6 (Unity 2019.3.14).
and the warning message is gone.