I think I found a bug but I need someone to check me before I log an Issue.
I am creating a 2D game and have a game 2D object with a smoke trail particles attached (think: missiles). What I had was working before Unity 5.5.x
My missile is homing missile so because it’s movement is performed via code – it is a kinematic object. But since Unity 5.5x, the smoke trail particles won’t play.
Here’s the deal:
- Create a particle system that has emission set to “Rate Over Distance”.
- Make sure particle simulation space is set to “World” or it won’'t work.
- Now add a Collider2D and Rigidbody2D components
- Make the Body Type “Kinematic”
- Particles stop playing UNLESS you also have “Use Full Kinematic Contacts” checked.
Why is this?
Note that in the steps above I am trying to see up colliders for the main game object and NOT collision for the smoke trail particles. I have no need for particle collision.
Also, I tried to move the particles off to a child game object but the behavior is still the same. It is as if if the particle is associated in any way to a Kinematic game object, the particles won’t play unless you also check “Use Full Kinematic Contacts”.
Is that hurting performance? What’s going on?