Picking Up a Car Key

So before you read any farther, I thought you should know that I know absolutely nothing about coding. I have watched numerous tutorials and read many forum posts, but I just can’t properly grasp the complexity of coding. I’ve been trying to coalesce multiple video tips and pre-made scripts to perform what I want to be done sadly to no avail. Let me explain my scene to you: The first level starts, and there’s an audio clip saying that you (First Person Controller) need to go and retrieve a key from the forest to start up your get away car. You go through the town, encounter a few enemy AIs, destroy them, all that fun stuff. In the woods there is a key- floating in mid air being ever so majestic, might I add- that the player must place in their inventory so they can start the car that is back at the spawn point. Everything in the level is working except for the key. I was looking at the Unity tutorials for the ‘Stealth’ game and tried to manipulate those already created codes to work for me, but it just wont help. I even attempted to make my own script with the sphere collider as the trigger and all, and that was only worse. All I’m really asking here is for someone to help me make a script in which the First Person Player enters the sphere collider around a key which destroys the key (AKA puts it in the player’s inventory), then when walking up to the car with the key they initiate the scene transition. It’s pretty much like getting a key for a door, but instead of making a door open, it’s causing a car to cross fade into the second level. Sorry if this didn’t make sense, I’m extremely new to all of this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. If you’re wondering why in the world I would make a game without knowledge of coding, it’s for an extracurricular project that I need to submit in a few weeks.

well this script i made to get a key to follow a player once the player finds it then once near the door, destroy the door…

var Player : Transform;
var otherObject : GameObject;
var Door : Transform;
var Door1 : GameObject;
var KeyParent : GameObject;
var distTillFollow : int = 1;
var distTillDoor : int = 10;
var Smooth : int = 10;
var Time1 : int = 1;
var isFollowing : boolean = false;
var isAtDoor : boolean;
var CanSwapTarget : boolean = true;
var isActive : boolean = false;
private var targetPosition:Vector3;
function Update () {
var distance2 = Vector3.Distance(Door.transform.position, transform.position);
var distance1 = Vector3.Distance(Player.transform.position, transform.position);
if (distance1 <= distTillFollow){
isFollowing=true;
}
if (CanSwapTarget == true){
if (distance2 <= distTillDoor){
isAtDoor=true;
}else{
isAtDoor=false;
}
}
if (isFollowing == true){
isActive = true;
targetPosition = Target.position;
if (Player.localScale.x < 0){
transform.localScale.x = .1;
}else{
transform.localScale.x = -.1;
}
}
if (isAtDoor == true){
if (transform.position.x <= Door.transform.position.x){
transform.localScale.x = -.1;
}else{
transform.localScale.x = .1;
}
CanSwapTarget = false;
targetPosition = Door.position;
}
if (isActive == true){
transform.position = Vector3.MoveTowards(transform.position, targetPosition, Time.deltaTime * Smooth);
}
if (Door.position == transform.position){
gameObject.renderer.material.color.a = Mathf.Lerp(renderer.material.color.a, 0, Time.deltaTime * Time1*5);
Door1. renderer.material.color.a = Mathf.Lerp(Door.renderer.material.color.a, 0, Time.deltaTime * Time1*5);
Destroy (KeyParent,Time1);
Destroy (Door1,Time1);
Destroy (otherObject,Time1);
}
}
	function OnDrawGizmosSelected () {
		// Draw a yellow sphere at the transform's position
		Gizmos.color = Color.yellow;
		Gizmos.DrawWireSphere  (transform.position, distTillFollow);

Gizmos.color = Color.red;
		Gizmos.DrawWireSphere  (transform.position, distTillDoor);
	}

If the scripts are not getting an errors, make sure that the collider on the key and the car have Trigger checked.