Problem instantiating a dead replacement gameObject for killed enemy

###Context

Hello Unity Community. I’m new to programming and it’s my first post here. I’ve decided to star my journey with the book Unity for Absolute Beginners (Blackman, 2014). I think I’m blocked in my progression due to some minor changes in scripting references between 2014 and 2020. Here’s my situation.

###Content

I have a first-person player-character shooting explosive PotatoAmmo at ZombieBunny. When a potato hit a Bunny, the critter disappears. This process is going well until I try to replace the shot Bunny with a dead replacement with an animation. There are 3 main scripts involved here.

1. A PotatoLaucher script applied on an empty gameObject pointing forward (z axis) from gun point. It instantiates a clone of the PotatoAmmo at the location & orientation of the script’s parent and adds forward velocity to the rigidbody of PotatoAmmo.

2. A Projectile script applied on PotatoAmmo that instantiates an explosion (from Particle System) OnCollisionEnter at the PotatoAmmo contact point with other colliders.

3. A ReceivedHit script applied on ZombieBunny whose ifStatement is to look for collision with PotatoAmmo and “if true” call a function named DestroyBun() that destroy ZombieBunny.

###Problem

Every think works perfectly until I want to replace the shot ZombieBunny with another prefab named ToastedZombie (which is a child of a parent Toasted Zombie Parent) with a disappearing animation named “Jump Shrink”.

Here is the problematic ifStatement added in the DestroyBun() function:

if (deadReplacement)
    {
        // get the dead replacement object's parent
        GameObject deadParent = deadReplacement.transform.parent.gameObject;

// instantiate the dead replacement's parent at this object's transform
        GameObject dead = (GameObject)Instantiate(deadParent, transform.position, transform.rotation);

// trigger its default animation
        deadReplacement.GetComponent<Animator>().Play("Jump Shrink");

// destroy the dead replacement's parent after a second
        Destroy(dead, 1.0f);
    }

Here is the core problem: When this block of code is added:

• ZombieBunny stop disappearing on contact with PotatoAmmo.

• The GameObject variable deadReplacement (assign with the ToastedZombie) isn’t instantiated in the scene on contact.

• The “Jump Shrink” animation isn’t played.

###P.S.

I know it may sound like a noob question, but I can’t manage my way around it and I can’t progress further in the book. If someone could gently give me some advices (with detail ideally) or share some documentation, I would be really grateful.

[172566-screenshot2.png|172566]

The screenshot shows the prefab hierarchy where my ToastedZombie is parented with the empty gameObject Toasted Zombie Parent. From that, I understand that when I’m drag-dropping my ToastedZombie from the Project view into the deadReplacement in script component, the parent isn’t include. That’s a great lesson.

To workaround that, I replaced this line:

GameObject deadParent = deadReplacement.transform.parent.gameObject;

with this one:

GameObject deadParent = deadReplacement.transform.gameObject;

Then, I drag-dropped the Toasted Zombie Parent onto my Dead Replacement on the ReceivedHit script component of my ZombieBunny.

I don’t know if it’s a good coding practice, but it worked. Thanks a lot for your insight. Much appreciated.