Problem With 2D Camera Following Target

Hi, I’m having a problem with a camera script that I found. It is written in C# and it works perfectly except for one thing, when I run the game the camera places itself on top of the character, making it imposible to see anything except the background, how can I fix this problem?

Camera Script:

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class SmoothCamera: MonoBehaviour {

public Transform target;
public float smooth= 5.0f;

void  Update ()
	{
		transform.position = Vector3.Lerp (transform.position, target.position, Time.deltaTime * smooth);
	} 

}

If you want your camera to follow your character (like in an RPG) it’s easiest to create a gameobject called ‘CameraTarget’ and child it to your character. Move the target behind the character as far as you’d like your camera to be and then Lerp the camera towards that target. While lerping, you’ll need to make sure your camera targets the character. (Use .LookAt)

Your problem seems to be that you’re moving the camera to the exact position of the player, when you should instead be moving it to its x and y coordinates but keeping your camera’s z intact (assuming you’re placing your things “the standard way” :P)

You can try to use a new Vector3 that places the camera farther away. Using this code inside of update should have the camera follow the player with the default Z.

Vector3 targetPosMod = new Vector3 (target.position.x, target.position.y, target.position.z - 10);
transform.position = Vector3.Lerp (transform.position, targetPosMod, Time.deltaTime * smooth);